Chapter 2 | Mr. Darcy

Start from the beginning

"I know it's been a while."

I pull away and wipe my eyes again. I didn't mean to cry but seeing my mother broke every barrier I've built. They tumble down, and alongside them come pent-up tears. "I have missed you so much."

"I've missed you too, but now I'm here! So, be happy."

"I am," I say. We both chuckle and make our way to the couch. I tell her everything that has happened from work to how life is going, leaving out last night's fiasco regarding Miles. She tells me about Sierra and how her studies abroad are going great so far. I'm glad her first year of college is going better than mine.

We talk about my mother and Joey and how they're planning a long vacation since both of the children are out of the house. I'm super happy everything is going well for them. After raising two crazy girls, they deserve all the relaxation they can get.

Her head cocks to the side, and a smug smile contorts her face. "How's your love life?"

Oh no, there it is.

"You know." I wave my hands around. "It is nonexistent at the moment."

She snorts. "You work so hard all the time. Why don't you have some fun? Go get laid!"

"Mom!" I cringe and swat her knee. I may be twenty-two but, I do not want to talk about sex with my mother. I notice Max narrow his eyes at the flowers on the counter, then toward me, and I narrow my eyes back. I'm not talking about Miles.

"I'm serious though, give yourself a break. That doesn't mean it has to be with a guy, but do something kind for yourself," she says, and I nod. We chat a little longer and then turn in for the night. It's getting pretty late, and I have work tomorrow. I help her settle into the spare room, but instead of going to my room after, I sneak into Max's.

The door creaks open, revealing Max tangled in his bedsheets. Inconspicuously, I crawl beside him under the blankets. Without hesitation, he sleepily reaches his arms out and pulls me into his embrace.

"Hi, Izzy," he whispers.

"Hi."

"I didn't want to bother you and your mom, so I stayed in here."

I frown. "You wouldn't have been a bother."

"We talked a good bit before you arrived," he says. "She asked who the flowers were from and I told her I got you them."

I fall silent, and a second passes before either of us speaks.

"Are you okay?" Max asks.

I chew on the inside of my lip, trying to dismiss the sad feeling that courses through me. I know he's asking about Miles.As much as I don't want to admit it, I'm not okay. I have not seen him in person in two years, and all of the sudden we run into each other.

And when I looked into his eyes, for a split second it seemed as if nothing had happened between us. But there are two years of life in between us, two years of unspoken words and thoughts, and now he wants to go out for dinner. I'm not sure what to think.

"No." It comes out in a whisper, and he squeezes me tighter. I don't feel like crying, I'm not angry either. I'm only confused.

MILES

"Would you like anything else, Mr. Cunningham?" Autumn, my housekeeper, asks entering my study. I stop what I'm doing on my computer, looking up at her.

"No, thank you. It's late, you can head home for the night if you'd like," I say. She thanks me and hurries off. Leaning back in my chair, I run my hands down my face and exhale. It's been one hell of a day. Not because of work, because of my constant thinking.

The endless pit in my stomach is enormous.

Ever since I sent the bouquet, I've been glancing at my phone every minute, waiting to see a text message or call illuminate the screen. But after seeing her face the other night, seeing how broken she looked, I don't think I will hear from her soon.

I knew that day in the café, the day I told her I was leaving, things would be different.

I close my laptop, turn off my office lights, and head into the living room. The city's lights pour through the floor-to-ceiling windows, creating a calming atmosphere. Despite me not being calm. I should really get some sleep, I have an important conference tomorrow and If I don't force myself to go to bed, I won't have any luck.

So, I mosey off to my bedroom. The sound of my feet hitting the wood is all I can hear in my empty sky-high penthouse. After changing, I slip under my cool bed sheets and sigh because I'm alone another night.

They say money can't buy happiness. They were right. 

╔═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╗

INSTAGRAM & TWITTER: annasteffeyy

vote • comment • follow

Thanks for reading ♡

╚═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╝