Losing Myself

Alice's POV

We sat down on the table as my father and Maura had a random conversation. I was nodding here and there when somebody was asking me something and Niall did too. I had a lot of questions that I wanted to ask him but I don't know how.

"Alice, why don't you show Niall around until the dessert is ready? I also want to discuss something with your father so..." Maura asked me.

"Sure" I said though I feel uncomfortable. I stood up and so did Niall. We went to the second floor without talking until I decided to make the awkwardness less awkward.

"This is the second floor. Do you like it?" I asked the first question that came into my mind.

"Yeah it's nice" He replied.

"Cool. Umm let's go to my room" I suggested and he followed me.

When we entered he looked around and I felt embarrassed because of the hideous pink colour on the wall.

"Don't mention the pink on the wall, it wasn't my choice"

"Oh...I was worried for a second" he said and I giggled.

"You're 17 right?" he asked and I nodded.

"What school do you attend?" He asked.

"Bradford's High School" I replied.

"You live in Bradford with your mother right?"

"Yeah...and you in London with your mother?" I added and he nodded.

"I have a question"

"Ask me anything" he said.

"Thanks...umm do your parents have a good relationship? I mean how do they act around each other?"

"They are friends actually, they have kept a nice relationship. What about yours?"

"Not very good but I don't care. They aren't the best parents. My mother is so pushy and my father just doesn't care about me, so I couldn't care less about that" I replied.

"I understand. But you should give them some time..." he said.

"I guess I should"

"Yeah..you should" he paused "I have something to say too"

"Go for it" I laughed.

"I wasn't expecting you to be so beautiful" he said shyly.

"Thanks but I'm not"

"Are you kidding me? You are gorgeous"

"Thanks I guess...we should go downstairs again the dessert is probably ready" he nodded.

We went downstairs and I could see that my father and Niall's mother had a serious conversation about something. I wanted to tell Niall to wait some more minutes until our parents finish what they were talking about but he was already at the table. The rest of the night was quiet. We laughed a bit, you could say they are nice people. I was fascinated by their accents actually, I found it amusing. Niall also gave me his phone number and I gave him mine so we could hang out sometimes. Before they left Maura gave me a something.

"That's for you Alice!" she handed me a small red bag and she smiled.

"Really? Thanks! What is it?"

"Open it!" she ordered politely.

Inside the bag there was a box wrapped with a colourfull paper. I unwrapped the box slowly, I didn't want them to think that I'm greedy and needy. A blue box was revealed and I looked at Maura and smiled nervously. I opened the box and my jaw dropped. It was a diamond ring. I'm not sure if it's diamond, I'm not good at things like that, but I could definately see that it was very expensive. I took the ring in my hands and it was perfect. It was simple yet elegant. Why would she buy me something that expensive?