Chapter 14 ✓

"But I'm planning on spending the day out with Harry today," I told Uncle Statonn who had come to discuss some business proposals with me. It was ten in the morning and we were sitting in the drawing room.

"You can go but not until we get over with this," he replied calmly. He was in his usual black suit, white shirt and black shoes.

"It's just been a few days since I joined in and you're loading me with all the crap," I complained.

His expression changed to somewhat a strict one. "You can have your fun now and when I'm gone, you being a naïve won't have any idea of the business and anyone could trick you and take over this business your Dad gave up so much to sustain."

"Okay, fine. Bring it on," I gave up at the mention of my Dad. "And by the way where are you going?" I asked curiously for he just mentioned about going somewhere.

We were sitting opposite to each other on sofas in a quite plush environment of my drawing room.

"Nowhere specifically. So, where was I? Yeah, I've been on a look out for a business deal that is bound to benefit our company more than it has in a long time..."

I tuned him out and kept on thinking of the things I'll be doing with Harry when we go out after his arrival.

"Earth to Denae!" Uncle clapped his hand in front of me.

"Yes?" I asked distantly.

"So, my dear, what did I just say?" He bent a little forward to meet my eyes with a little grin on his face.

"Err...something about being on a lookout for a deal?"

"Exactly..."

Ha.

"...but that was ten minutes ago."

Oops.

"Denae! I'm quite serious about this contract. This business!" he said at the verge of losing his calm.

"Sorry. I'm listening now." I said, feeling a bit ashamed.

"Good. I want to make one thing clear before I proceed, your Dad left me with your responsibility and of this business. If I fail in any one of them, I'll fail your Dad. Not to mention, I've already failed him in your regard." Pain was written all over his face as he uttered those words.

"Uncle, what happened was not your fault in the very least. Nothing has been your fault. It was just my ego that led me to such circumstances. And I know that I've been an idiot from the start and an idiot still in spending two years in isolation. It must have been so hard for you to see me like that. I'm really sorry for being such an ass." I said genuinely.

"It's okay Denae, no one was at fault," he said.

I had nothing to reply so I remained quiet.

"I should have been more specific in my orders." He said angrily, out of nowhere, but more to himself than me.

"Which orders?"

"What? No. No. Nothing. I just got caught up in the moment."

"Hmm."  Weird. I wondered if he was hiding something.

"You were talking about a deal." I reminded him.

"Uh...yes, I've sent a report at the hand of a representative to the director of the other company, and I'm hopeful that they will accept it. And if they do, you'll have to handle it - the meetings, the plans, and visiting the construction sites and when everything's finalized, all will be left at the hands of workers and you'll just be consulted for the big matters."