Chapter 36

(Point out the mistakes please.)

The door to Aiza's home opened the moment a throat-wrenching scream escaped my mouth. Mr Azar came out and his shocked eyes moved first from me to my bleeding stomach and then to Kantun.

I stumbled further, still screaming. Just as Kantun was escaping from over the fence still holding the bloody knife in his hand, Mr Azar shot Kantun with the rifle he held.

I lost my balance, and my body was about to fall on the ground when surprisingly some arms supported me. I had already shut my eyes out of the fear of hitting the ground. Opening them, I saw Char holding me with shock and pain in his eyes. He must have run after me.

He looked around, probably assessing the situation. He didn't say anything while he did so, just mouthed two words. 'Kantun, dead'.

I was gasping loudly and the pain was increasing with the second as the shock was ending.

I bent my head slightly to observe the wound but in vain as I had no strength left to even move my head. Thus I simply tried to place my hand on the gashes in hopes of reducing the pain. Instead, it hurt more and I winced between the heavy breaths that had not left me since I saw blood shooting out from my stomach.

"Ch...Char," I uttered with difficulty. The stickiness which the blood was leaving on my hand did nothing to calm the nerves. I looked up at him, scared.

"Easy there...easy," Char said softly as he tried to lower me into a comfortable position in his lap. Only there was no comfort, just agonizing pain.

Suddenly, I heard two feminine screams from somewhere around and the next moment, I saw Mrs Azar and Aiza on my other side.

"D...De...wha...?" Aiza couldn't speak a word between her sobs. I wanted to reply to her but I was in no position to. I kept on wincing and breathing loudly.

Aiza quickly held my hand that was on her side and started rubbing it. Her sobs turned into downright crying as she looked around to understand what happened. Her eyes reflected helplessness when she probably realized that there was nothing she could do. The damage was done.

"Azar! Call...call the police, the...ambulance!" Mrs Azar looked up and called on her husband and left my side to rush to him.

I couldn't see them for they were not in my line of vision. Not that I could even see anyone in my line of vision properly for my eyes kept on shutting every moment or so.

"Denae...hold...hold on...ambulance...coming," Aiza spoke slowly and confused between the tears. Her hands were still rubbing mine.

I looked at her, tried to nod but failed between audible gasps.

Just when I thought that the pain was somewhat numbing, it increased a million folds and I let out a blood-curdling scream. I felt as if my flesh was tearing apart which was precisely what was probably happening inside my body.

"Denae!" Aiza and Char screamed at the same time.

Char grabbed me by my shoulders and tried to pull me closer to him, probably to alleviate the pain. It didn't work though.

Mrs Azar also came running at the scream.

"Just hold on a few moments, oh and..." she said and pulled off her scarf from her head and placed it on my gashes to stop the blood. The pain increased further with the touch.

I screamed again as hot pain emanated from my stomach. At that point, I had had enough. I so wanted the pain to be gone even if it meant that I had to go down with it too.