twenty-four

a short time after. . .

"Do you need anything else? A lunch? More pencils? Is your phone on? Is it charged? Are you going to be okay? Will you-"

"Brendon!" I punctuate, turning around and putting my hands on his shoulders. "I swear, I'm okay."

But was I? I mean, I am a little nervous. College is a pretty big deal. And so are first impressions. And-wait, slow down. I'm here for a reason, and that reason is to learn and create and prepare... and even make myself happy. I'll be fine.

"Okay, I trust you." He says. "And I believe in you."

There's a short pause, and I don't say goodbye yet, because I know he still has more to say, even if the first bell is routing against that idea.

"If you need anything, will you call me?"

I nod.

"I love you, Brendon." I say sweetly.

"I love you, too, Carly. I'm very proud of you." Brendon says, taking a hold of my hand and looking me in the eyes.

"I have to go now." I say, ruining the moment.

He nods understandingly. "I know, I know. Goodbye."

I wave to him. And as I'm walking away, I hear from somewhere behind me, "Remember, Carly, you can fly!"

Turning around only led me to watch a car door close, and the love of my life drive away. Those words held a lot of meaning, even though it was hidden in a child-like phrase. I can fly. I can do it.

-

And I did, eventually. Well, the first day, I mean. I did manage to get through the first day. Though the navigation part was a little tricky, I did get through the school day successfully. I decided to do the two main years of college that are irrelevant to what you want to minor and major in fresh out of high school. Once I had finally decided what I wanted to do and started sending out letters to different colleges, well, you guys know what happened.

But, anyways, now I can attend my final two years. The first one, which is the one I'm starting today, is illustration and design. The second one (which will be next year) is digital photography. I decided on those two with my application, hopelessly hopeful. I wouldn't really mind doing any of the classes, and I had no idea what I wanted to do besides illustration and design, so I just chose photography. It sounds easy for the most part, and I feel like I've had a fair amount of experience.

I won't bore you guys to death with the details about that, but this is the part when Brendon texted me that he's in the parking lot. It was very confusing to find Brendon's car, but I didn't mind too much, considering how beautiful the campus was. It wasn't your traditional suburban, grassy campus with pretty, paved sidewalks and fountains and flowers everywhere, because yknow, it's in a city. But the lights and statues were stunning. It's like the whole world gleamed with the building itself.

Eventually, when I got to Brendon's car, I wasted no time jumping in, throwing my bag into the backseat, and letting out an incredibly dramatic sigh.

"Assuming your first day was tiring?" Brendon said, but it was implied as a question.

I just nodded and threw my head back onto the head of the seat, putting the palms of my hands on each side of it. "It was fine,"

"I'm glad to hear that." Brendon stated, pulling out of the parking lot.

"Have you decided if you want to move into dorms yet?"

I shrugged, "I don't know. I mean, is the thirty minute ride worth it three times a week?"

"It's up to you. I don't mind driving you."

"I have a car, Brendon." I reminded, laughing lightly, "I just prefer riding more than driving."

"I would've let you on top more if you told me that." Brendon mumbled.

I laughed in return, swatting at his arm. "Boys and their stupid innuendos."

"I'm a horny bastard, what can I say?"

"You're a fifteen-year-old boy, that's what you are." I counter, and we both laugh.

a/n: schools out but not for carly, laugh

-emma, the big gay bear (i am actually straight)