Sixteen | ✓

Minho, Newt and Chuck had split ways to do their parts of the plan. Amelia stayed behind despite knowing the risks because of Gally. Teresa scooted further away from her and Thomas, knowing they would want to talk.

"I remembered you," she told him, Thomas looked at her. "I remembered when I would always sneak into your room. I remembered when you asked me out. I cringed."

Thomas chuckled.

"Yeah... Not the best way to confess, but it still worked. At least I got the girl," he smirked at her. Amelia rolled her brown eyes. "I still have her, right?" he asked.

A small smile appeared on her face as she nodded.

"You always have," she simply told him, her smile growing bigger. "I'd kiss you right now if you weren't in prison," she told him honestly.

"Wait 'till we get out of here.".

✿✿✿

The entire Glade looked like a wasteland in Amelia's eyes. Smoke everywhere, what was left of the buildings were piled up. She often found Gally by the wall, scratching out names.

She actually felt hurt to see what had happened to her 'home'. The place she grew in for the past years. From the peace she and the original Keepers had built to whatever hell it had turned to.

It was close to sundown - meaning it was close to Thomas' and Teresa's so-called Banishment. Not on her watch. Amelia found it useless that Gally forbade her from seeing them while they were in the pit. She met them either way.

Amelia stood with her machete at hand as she watched three Gladers take Thomas and Teresa to the wooden poles. She smirked at Thomas' acting in being unconscious. Looking over at the other female, she voted for her having better hair than the blond Glader who held her.

She followed behind closely as they dropped Thomas onto the ground. She stood next to Minho.

"This is such a waste," Gally said, putting away his weapon.

"Gally," Winston called out, grabbing the attention of the boy. "This doesn't feel right, man.".

"Yeah, what if Thomas is right? What if he could lead us home?" Jeff backed Winston up. Gally scoffed and took a step closer to the dark-skinned Glader.

"We are home, okay? I don't want to cross any more names on that wall," he pointed at said wall. Amelia bit her lips to prevent herself from saying something, but it seemed that Teresa had done it for her already.

The female asked if banishing them would solve anything. To Amelia's surprise, Gally said no.

"This isn't a banishing," Gally told her, Amelia raised a brow. "It's an offering."

Before Teresa could say another word, the Glader who held her started tying her to the pole. Amelia's eyes darted to Thomas before turning back to Gally. Newt turned to her and Minho, scratching his chin lightly. They nodded, knowing that that action was the signal that their plan would start.

She moved a little closer to Teresa subtly as Gally shouted at the blue eyed girl to shut up. Her grip on the machete tightened when he barked orders at two Gladers to tie Thomas up.

"Here we go," she muttered to herself. When the two boys picked him up, Thomas immediately elbowed one in the crotch.

Newt used the butt of his machete and hit the other on the head. Amelia cut Teresa's ropes as Teresa kicked a Glader in the crotch. Minho had his weapon on Gally's shoulder. Chuck and Alby ran with the equipment towards the rebel group.

Thomas and Amelia stood by the door with the rest of the group. Their weapons pointed towards those on Gally's side.

"You're full of surprises, aren't you?" Gally said, mostly directed to Thomas.

"You don't have to come with us but we are leaving." Thomas ignored what Gally had said.

"Anyone else who wants to come, this is your last chance," Amelia called out. She hoped that at least a few of them would follow her, their original leader, not some maniac.

"Don't listen to her, she's just trying to scare you," Gally told those on his side.

"No," she scoffed. "I'm not trying to scare anyone. You're already scared. Alright? Even I'm terrified. But I rather risk my life out there than spend the rest of it in here," she spat.

"We don't belong here. This place isn't our home, we were put here," Thomas told everyone. "We were trapped here. At least out there, we have a choice."

"We can make it out of here. I know that," Amelia finished the speech for him. Her words were enough to convince the other boys. Winston was the first to move from Gally's side to theirs. Followed by Jeff, who whispered an apology to Gally.

One by one, more boys joined them. Gally looked around at a few Gladers he had on his side. Amelia still had hope for the Keeper to join them.

"Gally, it's over. Just come with us," she attempted to convince him. Gally looked at her dead in the eye, he was silent.

"Good luck against the Grievers," was all he said for her give up. Thomas nudged her.

Amelia turned and started running with the rest of the group to what could either be their escape or their doom.

✿✿✿

Tbh, I was not expecting the outcome of Thomas' and Amelia's talk to be like that. I don't know how should I feel about it. Even though I cringed while writing it. Halfway through this chapter, I forgot I kept Alby alive. Oh, well.

Let's hope during the editing at the end of this book, my writing improves.