Thirteen | ✓

"Do you ever miss your family?" Amelia questioned the boy next to her.

"I don't have a family to miss," he looked down to the ground. Amelia admired at him sadly. She reached out and patted him on the back. He looked up to see her small smile.

"We can be your family," she tore her gaze from him to look at the rest. A blond stayed silent and stared through the window to see another group. A darker skinned boy and an Asian boy were talking to a girl who had long, black hair.

In the corner of her eye, she saw him smile. She felt as if there were millions of butterflies in her stomach. Little did she know, she fell hard.

✿✿✿

She was careful of getting caught. She refused to return back into the pit. Amelia opened the door as quietly as she could.

"Lia? What're you doing here?" he asked, getting off his bed.

"Nice pajamas, Tommy-boy," she teased. His face turned red. Thomas repeated his question as the girl sat on his bed.

"A friend can't visit?" she pretended to be hurt as she cuddled with his pillow. Thomas rolled his brown eyes. The two sat in silence on Thomas' bed. She let go of the pillow and laid her head on his shoulder. Thomas tensed for a moment but relaxed.

"I better get going. Don't want to end up back in that pit," she skipped her way towards the door. She did not want to leave him, she wished she could stay longer.

Amelia turned and blew him a kiss. She opened the door and exited the room swiftly, not seeing the blush that grew on his face.

✿✿✿

"You'll be there, right?" she asked with hope in her voice. She knew that he would not, but she still hoped so. Thomas sighed. He twiddled with his thumbs.

Amelia closed her eyes, sighing through her nose. Her long hair covered her face as she looked down. She could feel Thomas' eyes on her.

She got up from his bed, pushing away her hair from her face. It was obvious that she was on the brink of tears. Amelia, being herself, stayed strong and held her head high.

Amelia kissed Thomas on the cheek. Exiting his room, she had one last thought in her mind.

You have to be there.