Six | ✓

Thomas was still shaken up about Ben being Banished. He could not help but feel guilty. He pushed those thoughts away when he spotted a crowd by one of the doors. Curiosity took over and he managed to push his way to the front of it.

"What's wrong?".

"Minho, Alby and Amelia aren't back yet," Newt replied, chewing his fingernails, something he had never seen the older boy do before. "They should've returned hours ago."

Thomas tensed as he heard Amelia's name slip out of the British boy's mouth. He stood beside Newt and waited with the other Gladers for the trio to return. A cold wind came out of the Maze, signalling that the doors were going to close.

A flicker of movement caught his eyes. Something stirred inside the Maze, down the long corridor in front of them.

The sight of Minho and Amelia, with each of Alby's arms draped across their shoulders, dragging him to the Glade made Thomas want to run in and help them. But the rule about not leaving the Glade was seared into his mind.

"COME ON. YOU CAN DO IT!"

Alby had slipped out of their clutches and fallen to the ground. Thomas watched as Minho and Amelia desperately attempted to get him back on his feet, then giving up and started to drag him by the arms.

"They're got going to make it," Newt stammered, slowing losing hope as Minho stumbled up ahead and fell to the ground. It was like everything suddenly went slow-motion.

Thomas knew he had no choice, he moved forward. He managed to squeeze pass at the last second and stepped into the Maze. The walls slammed shut behind him with a gigantic boom.

"Good job, Tommy. You just killed yourself," Amelia grunted, out of breath before sitting next to Minho.

✿✿✿

After Minho had ran away from an unconscious Alby, confused Thomas and pissed Amelia, the noises that caused him to flee grew louder.

"Minho's right, we need to leave. Now," Amelia ordered and turned to run in a different direction, but Thomas held her wrist to prevent her from leaving him and Alby alone.

"We can't leave Alby to die. We have to do something."

"In Minho's words, you're the shuckiest shuck-faced shuck there ever was," Amelia muttered under her breath. She ended up helping Thomas tie Alby up in vines and pulled them to raise him high enough that hopefully, the Grievers would not spot him.

"We have to go now!" Amelia hissed through gritted teeth as he tied the vine to secure their leader. The sounds of a Griever nearby grew louder.

Fortunately, he managed to finish and pull Amelia to hide behind a wall before the Griever had seen them. Instinctively, Thomas wrapped one of his arms around Amelia, as if to protect her, and used his free hand to cover her mouth to prevent her from screaming.

The two Gladers held their breaths as the sounds of the Griever leaving started to fade. Thomas let out a sigh of relief, and reluctantly let go. He stepped out of their hiding spot to check on Alby.

"You were a Runner once, you should be able to know where to go, right?" Thomas asked. Amelia did not bother to ask how did he know that information.

"It's been two years since I quit. You're expecting me to remember that klunk?" she retorted.

The sounds of the walls changing and Grievers roaming around grew louder. Thomas grabbed Amelia's hand and started to walk in a random direction.

"Where are we going?".

"Anywhere away from a Griever, I guess.".

He stopped walking when he had stepped on some sort of goo, which made Amelia want to throw up. She looked around before recognising the thing they wanted to avoid the most and muttered Thomas' name. Something slimy dripped onto Thomas's shoulder, causing him to turn around and see what Amelia was looking at.

The half-animal, half-machine roared and jumped down from its position. It began to run after the Gladers.

It looked more disgusting than what Thomas imagined it to look like. Green goo covered it's body, it had the legs of a spider (but it looked more mechanical-like). Spikes seemed to grow out of it's abdomen.

The two Gladers continuously turned left and right repeatedly - trying to escape from the hideous beast as the scenario they were in was either life or death situation. Unfortunately, they were caught in a dead-end.

"We're doomed." Amelia started to hyperventilate as the beast stalked towards them. The monster screeched, as it opened its mouth, she observed that it had extremely sharp, long teeth. Goo seemed to act as if it was its saliva.

"No, we're not."

Thomas shook his head and began to climb the vines. He looked down, realising Amelia was rooted in the same spot.

He jumped down to get her after noticing that even yelling over the sounds of the Griever wouldn't grab her attention. He grabbed onto her shoulders and turned her to face the vines. The green, leafy stalks triggered the incident to flash into her mind.

The Griever screeched once more, finally snapping her out of reality. Thomas was ahead of her as she began to climb desperately to the top.

Upon reaching the top, Thomas held Amelia's hand and ran towards a direction. They weren't expecting the machine beast to have the ability to climb.

"Well, shuck." She looked down at the gap between the wall they stood on and the wall across. The gap was too big for them to jump across and make it on the other side alive.

"We have to jump," Thomas whispered into her ear, sending chills down her spine. Sweat glistened her forehead as she shook her head, mumbling the word 'no' over and over.

Thomas sighed.

"I'm sorry-"

"Wha-" she was unable to finish her sentence as she was suddenly flung into the air.

Screaming, she held onto the vines of the wall they were originally across. Soon, Thomas was next to her, gasping for air.

"Shuck you every much," she snapped.

The Griever followed and started to attempt to prick them using the stingers at the end of its spider-like legs, which they were lucky to avoid. The vines were unable to handle their weight, and it snapped - causing both humans and the machine to crash onto the ground.

"Come on," Thomas scrambled onto his feet and pulled Amelia away from the beast. It was tangled in the vines, which gave them enough time to get a head start in their escape. Thomas dragged her into a long corridor.

"You crazy sons of bitches," Minho appeared out of nowhere, scaring the two, shaking Gladers. "Follow me!"

They did not bother to hesitate, Minho knew more about the Maze than them. The walls changed as they ran from corridor to corridor.

"This section is closing, come on! We can lose that shank down here," Minho and Amelia ran while Thomas stayed back.

"Thomas! What are you doing? Get out of there!"

He ran towards them, having the Griever chasing after him. Amelia bit her bottom lip hard enough that it drew blood. Minho continuously yelled at him to run faster as the gap became smaller and smaller.

"Thomas!"

✿✿✿

Well, this was a terrible chapter.