Chapter 39

I paced around the island in the kitchen as I thought of what the hell I was going to do. How was I going to get off this damn island without causing a scene or getting anyone's attention? I brushed my hair back and let out a heavy breath, glancing to the clock on the stove. It was only two thirty a.m. I still had the rest of today and tomorrow before I had to leave.

"What are you pacing for, Shyla?"

I stopped when I heard Wanda's voice and turned to face her.

"I need to think. Why are you up?"

"Someone's anxiety woke me up." She sighed gently.

"Sorry. When I have a lot on my mind, it's hard to keep it under control."

"What's got you so upset?" She crinkled her brows as she moved to sit on the counter.

"Nothing." I shook my head gently. "Just a dream. I hate sleeping."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Of course not." I hopped down from the counter and went to the fridge to find something to drink. I could feel Wanda's unnatural magic messing with my natural born magic. She was trying hard to read my mind as I pulled a bottle of water out of the fridge. "Quit trying to read my mind, Wanda."

"Then quit acting so weird." She sighed heavily and placed her fist down on the table from where it had been propping her head up. "I can tell—,"

"I don't care what you can tell. I know what I know and what I know is that you're going to get yourself into trouble if you keep poking your nose where it doesn't belong."

She was silent for a while and her eyes diverted away from me.

"I've never.... I've never had a sister." She whispered, scratching at something on the wooden tabletop. "But you understand me and you just.... you get it."

I said nothing and instead, bit the inside of my cheek. Where was she going with this?

"If you're in some kind of trouble, Shyla...." Wanda trailed off, her gaze meeting mine. "I can help you."

"Don't read my mind or I'll—,"

"I don't have to read your mind, Shyla. You said you needed to think and you're being more distant than usual."

"Go to bed, Wanda." I spoke through my teeth. I didn't want to threaten her, but I needed to be left alone. "Because you don't know half of the shit I am capable of and I have zero patience."

Wanda nodded her head softly and stood up from the table. She left without another word, and I was thankful for that. My phone vibrated from its place in the pocket of Clint's hoodie that I was currently wearing. I pulled it out and answered the call.

"What do you want?" I spoke under my breath, moving to look out the large windows in the living room.

"You hung up so rudely early that I didn't get to chat with you." Loki said. "That wench with a terrible accent thinks she can talk me into working under her. She is getting on my last nerve."

"Her accent isn't even real." I sighed. "She's from Connecticut."

"What?"

"A place in the states. What do you want? Why did you call me so late in the night?"

"Well, I want to make you a deal."

My bottom lip was taken between my teeth and I turned around to lean against the window sill. I now had the ability to look out over the living room and watch the stairs while I was talking on the phone.