Chapter 30

I drew a line,
I drew a line for you
Oh what a thing to do
And it was all yellow

Oh yeah your skin and bones,
Turn into something beautiful,
Do you know
For you I'd bleed myself dry

It's true
Look how they shine for you,
Look how they shine for,
Look how they shine for you,
Look how they shine.

Look at the stars,
Look how they shine for you,
And all the things that you do.

I hummed softly as the song ended then I pulled Ember off of my shoulder.

"You aren't a parrot-cat, Ember."

The door to my new apartment opened and in walked Wanda.

"I didn't say you could come in." I pulled my earbuds out and paused the next song.

"I don't care if you did or not." She took off her jacket and threw it over the back of a chair. She moved to stand behind the back of the sofa I was on and picked up Ember. "She's so gorgeous. I might have to get one."

"I'll get you a cat for your birthday."

"Don't tease me like that." Wanda sat down on the chair she put her jacket on and placed Ember in her lap. I continued to read while she played with Ember. lIt's been a week, Shyla—,"

"Don't start with that, Wanda." I cut her off sternly, my eyes staying focused on the ancient language in front of me. "Don't."

"Steve won't let him go on missions because he doesn't want Clint to do something stupid because of what just happened between you two."

"You can't blame me for anything stupid he does, Wanda! He's Clint Barton!" I stood to my feet and put my book down on the coffee table. "If he does something stupid, it's his fault. Not mine!"

The lit candles around the room and the few lights I had on began to flicker with my rise in negative emotions. I took a deep breath through my lips and exhaled through my nose.

"I made my decision, Wanda, and he made his. That's just how it went."

"I understand that dreams mean more to you than they do to others, Shyla. I'm the same way with most of mine." She spoke softly as she put Ember down on the sofa and moved with me to the kitchen area. "That's just one of the things that make us different from everyone else in the Tower. But you can't always trust every little detail from every single dream. You know the future is always changing."

"Levi is my brother. He's all I've had for a long time."

"You're stuck in the past, Shyla." Wanda spoke softly as she leaned against the counter. "It's not just you and Levi anymore. You both have me and Pietro and Clint and Hill and Natasha and the rest of the Avengers and Bucky. We're a dysfunctional family and you leaving us has put a little gap into it."

"Little." I repeated quietly, looking down at Ember as she passed over to my feet and began to rub against my ankles. I picked her up and placed her on my shoulder.

"I didn't mean it like that, Shyla. The Avengers have grown to like you. I know in the beginning Steve, Stark, Dr. Banner, and Thor weren't big fans of your's but it just took time."

"What happened with me and Clint had nothing to do with how big our dysfunctional family is, Wanda." I spoke almost in a monotone as I brushed my fingers through Ember's black fur. "When it came down to it, it was about who wanted kids and who didn't. He did and I didn't."