Chapter 23

So baby pull me closer in the backseat of your Rover
That I know you can't afford
Bite that tattoo on your shoulder
Pull the sheets right off the corner
Of the mattress that you stole
From your roommate back in Boulder
We ain't ever getting older

I hummed softly as I packed my bag for the trip to my hometown of Portland, Oregon. I didn't want to be completely negative about the entire thing, but it was hard to be positive. I was going back to my hometown for the funeral of my parents that I hadn't seen in over a decade.

"Is that what you're wearing?"

I looked over my shoulder to see Clint walking into my room. He was dressed in jeans and a black t-shirt with his jacket in his hand. It was simple all together but somehow, the little shit pulled it off amazingly.

"Yeah." I nodded my head. "Just finishing up before we head out."

I was in a fitting long sleeve black and white striped dress that came up a little past mid thigh and a pair of thigh high black boots. My silver hair was left down but straightened so it wouldn't be a mess and go all over.

"Want me to help you with your bags?"

"My flight doesn't leave till tomorrow morning."

"It was just an offer." Clint pressed a kiss to my cheek and put an arm around my waist.

He didn't like that he wasn't going with me and Levi to my parents' funeral. Clint wanted to be there to support me, but I didn't think he needed to see me in that kind of situation.

"You'll take care of Ember for me?" I asked, kneeling down to scratch between her ears.

"Of course." Clint replied with a not so enthusiastic tone. "Just can't promise you Satan in animal form will be here when you get back."

I smacked his chest lightly and moved to get my phone.

"I'm ready for our little date, if you are." I told him.

"Always." A grin came to his lips when he looked to me.

•*•*•

"So are you sure you don't want me going with you?" Clint asked as we ate the chips and salsa while waiting for our food to be brought out. We were at a Spanish styled restaurant for our third date.

"I'm sure." I nodded my head. "I'll have Levi."

"Tell me about your siblings. You have a brother and sister, right?"

I wanted to not talk about this, but then we would have nothing to really talk about and I didn't want to sit here in awkward silence.

"Yeah. Both are older than me. I'm the baby."

"You don't want to talk about them?" Clint put a chip into his mouth and watched me for a moment.

"I just...." I trailed off, looking around at the few other people surrounding us. After thinking about the subject for a couple moments, I spoke. "My sister is the oldest. She's a waitress at a bar in Portland. Her name's Kathleen but she goes by Kate mostly. My brother, Vince, he's a cop for the city of Portland. They all stayed close to home."

My eyes moved to the waiter, who placed our plates in front of us and gave us a smile before leaving.

"Are you scared to see them?" Clint asked me.

"Hell yeah." I nodded my head and brushed a piece of hair back behind my ear. "I mean, what am I suppose to do, Clint? Hi, I'm your sister, Julianna. I was kidnapped when I was ten and I've been free for the past five years, I just didn't want to see you."

Clint was silent, obviously unsure of what to tell me.

"Julianna?" He repeated. My cheeks immediately flushed and I cursed under my breath.

"Damn it." I rubbed my forehead. "That's my birth name. HYDRA changed my name when they took me."

"Julianna." His crystal blue eyes stuck to my face as he watched me with a soft smile. "You look like a Julianna."

"I'll stab you in the leg if you ever call me that." I threatened him and took a bite of my food.

"You don't like it?"

"I'm not a fan of it."

"But you also don't like Vexx."

"I don't like what Vexx stands for. Shyla has no bad blood standing with her name. It's just a stupid name." I shrugged my shoulders lightly.

"I don't think it's stupid. I like that name."

"You're a dork." I rolled my eyes at him.

We ate a little and then a conversation arose when we saw a family with three little ones looking to be between the ages of three and eight.

"So we've been together longer now." Clint said, leaning against the table with his arms. "Can we have that whole kids and family further on down the road talk?"

"We've already had it." I put another chip with salsa on it into my mouth. "I said I didn't want kids and you got all cute and said we'd run away."

"I'm dead serious about it, Shyla." Clint kept his eyes on mine as he spoke. "We can hide from everything. I have a few safe houses no one knows about. We can do it."

"You'd want to raise kids in this?" I crinkled my brows at him. "With everything that you've seen, that you've been through...." I trailed off, shaking my head.

"You can't stick with those bad things, Shyla. We have to take the hits and recover. It's shitty but it's what we got." Clint reached across the small table and took my hand in his. "We can, if you even think you want to."

•*•*•

"Shy." Levi said my name softly, closing the door behind him. "It's okay. We'll figure it out. We always do."

"I can't do it, Levi." I shook my head. A glass of bourbon had magically found it's way into my hand and I was drinking it at four in the morning when I should've been sleeping. "Kate and Vince.... They'll want answers. I-I do not want to tell them."

"We won't, Shyla." Levi knelt down next to me. Clint sat on the edge of my bed and I was leaning against the bed below him. "We can tell them that you ran away."

"But why would I run away? We were the perfect stupid family."

Clint began to run is fingers through my silver hair to comfort me.

"Tell them the truth." He spoke quietly from behind me. "You were taken when you were ten and you got out a while ago."

I said nothing but took a sip of my drink.

"Barton's going with us. Start packing your bags." Levi told him.

"No!" I blurted out immediately. "He doesn't need to come."

"I think he does." Levi put one hand on my wrist holding the glass of bourbon and the other began to pull the glass away. I whined as he took it away and put it on the night stand.

"He's going and you're not stopping it."

I let out a dramatic groan and put my head back into Clint's lap.

•*•*•

My knee wouldn't stop bouncing up and down as I watched the clouds below. The flight over to Portland made this all the more real. I didn't like it. I sat in the window seat, Clint sat beside me, and Levi sat an aisle over.

A hand on my knee made me jump. My eyes moved over to Clint, who picked up my hand and kissed the back of it.

"It's okay." He assured me.

"Maybe it would help if you kissed my lips." A little grin smirk found its way to my mouth.

Thank you guys so much!!!

Vote and Comment!!

<3 Kacey <3