2.8 | Calm Before Storm + Dear Fiance

Začít od začátku

I tried to reason, "I don't think he's going to let us out till you do."

She threw me a dirty glance and catching her intent, I shut up, shrugging my shoulder.

I walked up to the edge towards the windows looking down at the work place. It seems almost scandalous for Arnav to be able to watch over his employees while none of them could know if and when he was watching. He should not hold this kind of power. But, then again, no wonder everyone works sincerely here. They know that at any second, their boss could look down on them and they wouldn't know.

Fifteen minutes passed in silence. Lavanya was using Arnav's laptop and I figured she knew his password. I bit back the pinch of jealousy of how close they seemed to be by pacing back and forth for a couple of times and telling myself I needed to stop feeling this jealous. They have a son together and they even work together. Obviously, they'll be close. Why wouldn't she know his passwords and stuff?

When pacing didn't work and I got tired and also a bit dizzying from walking back and forth, I went to sit at the chair beside her. I stay still for a minute before my fingers start tapping on the table.

She scolded me, "Will you stop that?"

Oh. It was irritating to her. I pulled my hand back but that shifted to shaking my legs up and down.

She let out a sigh, "Apparently he was right. You have no patient bone in you."

I shrugged my shoulders, wondering if he told her anything else about me and if so, what? And... why?

She murmured, more to herself. "And that's why he locked me in here with you. Arnav, I'm so going to have my revenge."

I pointed out, "He can't hear you, you know?"

She scoffed, "Oh, I'm pretty sure he can."

My brows knit together in confusion but didn't question it.

Half hour after, I finally asked, now getting annoyed by her calm composure and ability to continue her work as if we are not locked up in here. "Okay, look, whatever you have to say, just say it and let's move on. I need to get back to work."

Truth was, I just wanted to get away from her. I'd like to paint myself as someone who had great work ethics but that would be fraudulent. I had yet to discover myself which work ethics I held. So, for now, I only want to escape and not feel intimidated by her.

She seemed to think for a few seconds before bringing the laptop screen down and turning the chair to face me. "He thinks I need to be nice to you since apparently, the two of you are 'starting over'."

I put aside the taunt in her tone when she says certain words as if she doesn't believe us, "We arestarting over."

She scoffed, "With the history you have? Forgive me if I don't buy that."

I crossed my arms over my chest, "What does it matter to you anyway? You've already decided you hate me."

She challenged raising a brow, "Don't I have a good enough reason to?"

I answered a bit uncertainly, "No? It's your boyfriend who ruined my life, remember?"

She opened her mouth, a flare of anger crossing over her eyes before she fisted her palms and decided against whatever she wanted to say. Seconds after, she said something other than she planned, "We're friends."

I repeated her words, "With the history you have? Find that hard to believe."

She looked me in the eyes, "Believe it. I'm probably the only friend who's stuck by him."