"What happened?" I asked, sounding almost angry. "Why did you eat glass? You told me you've never eaten with your hand."

She turned to look at me without responding. I looked at her and waited for her to respond but it didn't seem like she was ready to talk.

"Lets go." I stood up, deciding not to waste my time here after I've had less sleep last night.

"It because I was hungry." She responded. I turned to look at her before she added, "and I was thinking of Ummah."

I sighed and sat down on the bed, "That doesn't give an excuse to eat glass. Of all things. How long have you been eating it?"

"I can't remember but almost long. It because it was the only thing that sustain me after watching Ummah and Audu fight." She said.

There was one thing I really did want to know and that is what goes on in the that house. There are a lot of stories there that you could even write a book about.

I sighed and touched her forehead. There was nothing I could say or do because I know nothing was easy for Kauna. I looked at below her bottom lip and there was already a scar there because of the glass she ate.

"Promise me one thing." I said. She looked at me curiously. "Never eat glass again."

*****

After paying for the hospital bill and medication with the small money Kaka gave me few days ago, we were finally ready to leave the clinic. The receptionist didn't stop looking at me in her annoying manner as she chewed her gum.

I quickly signed whatever was left and made my way out of the clinic. I held kauna's hand as we walked out of the entrance, finding our way around the large dusty compound. The moment I spotted the gate, I saw a guy in military uniform walking into the compound. It wasn't something that bothered me until... wait. It was that military man-boy by the river. He wasn't wearing his camouflage boonie hat but I could still recognize him. I didn't want to see him again after that horrible first encounter by the river.

I stopped walking and Kauna looked at me in confusion. I looked at him in shock, not knowing what to do. He was greeting the clinic gateman and was about to turn to catch my face when suddenly I turned around to back him.

I was lost at the moment and didn't know what to do. Kauna was still standing there looking at me in confusion. I looked round while looking at the clinic building and was about to make my way back inside when suddenly I heard,

"How far!" The military boy's voice. "It's you again."

I stopped walking and shut my eyes in frustration. I gradually turned around and pretended to be surprised.

"It's you... again." I waved, repeating what he just said.

"I am surprised to run into you once again." He grinned, and I was back to seeing the happy face once more. He walked closer and stood in front of Kauna and I. "So what are you doing here?"

I came to kill somebody again.

"Just came to..." I turned and pointed at Kauna, not sure of what to say, "pick her. She was sick."

"Sorry dear." He smiled at Kauna and turned back at me, "she's your sister right?"

"No." I shook my head.