Three Types of Hunters

Start from the beginning

Mrs. Sterling sighs in defeat. "Yes. But they were removed earlier and taken by some colleagues of mine."

"Are they dead?" Lena asks, hoping they aren't.

"I'm not sure. I haven't heard from my associates yet." Mrs. Sterling replies slowly, like she doesn't want to reveal any of this to Lena.

"Anyway, the second thing I need you to know is that I really am a scientist. And so is your father." Mrs. Sterling says before getting back onto the track she was on.

"But how do you know about the supernatural anyway? You couldn't have known unless something happened to you or someone told you. Were you attacked?" Mrs. Sterling turns in worry to her daughter, wondering if her daughter is still human.

"Yeah, I was attacked. By lightning! Remember?" Lena says sarcastically, reminding her mother of the night a few months ago when she and Ivie were struck by lightning.

That seems like a million years ago, and Lena had learned so much more since that night. Now it's time for Lena to confess what really happened and to see if her mother can help with controlling her powers.

"Right. I do remember. But I have a feeling that you're not telling me something." Mrs. Sterling predicts.

Lena refuses to feel guilty about keeping things from her mom. That would be unfair to herself.

"Yeah, the lightning strike did something to me and Ivie, but she was affected differently. Jerica was electrocuted the same night that I was hit by lightning, so somehow me and Jerica can both control elements. Like wind and electricity." Lena explains.

Mrs. Sterling nods, fearing as much. "And what about Ivie?"

"I'd rather not say. It's her deal." Lena tells her mom with a shrug, not ready to reveal Ivie's dangerous secret without approval from Ivie herself.

"So, do you know anything about what's happened to me? I feel like you already knew about this. You don't seem surprised." Lena questions, noticing that her mother isn't reacting the way Lena thought she would.

"It would be better if your father was here to help explain this." Mrs. Sterling says with a sort of sadness in her voice.

"Just tell me. Dad won't be home for hours." Lena protests.

"Fine. It's just hard for me..." Mrs. Sterling sniffles as if she's about to cry.

"Mom, have you thought about how this makes me feel? You've lied to me my whole life and now you don't want to explain yourself to me?" Lena exclaims angrily, not caring about hurting her feelings.

"I understand." Mrs. Sterling sighs through her words to show that she's still upset.

"What we didn't tell you, what we planned to tell you later, was that your father was married before. To your biological mother, who isn't me." Mrs. Sterling says, frowning slightly in discomfort.

"You're my step mother?" Lena asks, not having seen this coming.

Mrs. Sterling nods her head, then stands up to get a tissue to dab at her eyes. "Yes. And your real mother was supernatural. That lightning strike must've awakened your magic."