Revelations of Lineage, part 2

Night descended upon Evingrad like a velvet curtain falling from the heavens revealing the blue light of the stars in the vastness of the summer sky. Lucius, Siegfried, and Helmer sat in the dining hall of the Silverhart estate around a long, oval table. Helmer sat at one of the ends while Lucius and Siegfried sat across from each other. They all delighted in the feast Peniel, the house maid, had prepared for them. The table was decorated with an array of colors, delicious aromas, and exquisite delicacies which Lucius reveled. He particularly enjoyed the loaf of omer bread was made from the sap of Breninmaur's branches. A single slice tasted sweeter than honey and nearly satisfied his appetite. A roast of Verdanian sheep and fresh apricots also lay upon the table on silver platters. The large spread reminded Lucius of the grand banquets Aldronian kings hosted in the epic stories Helmer had shared with him as a child. Rounding out the feast laid on the table was a pitcher of pomegranate mead was highly favored by the D'aryan elves. It was poured on special occasions and rarely drank otherwise. Lucius could not imagine what occasion this might be, considering both he and Siegfried had failed to become Protectors of Evingrad.

When they had finished the main course and their mead, Peniel entered the dining hall with a small silver platter in her hands. She had the appearance of a young girl: fair skin, auburn hair, and sparkling emerald eyes. Despite her appearance of youth, she was an elf maiden who had served her masters generations before even Helmer was born.

She placed the small platter in the middle of the table and bowed her head slightly, "An elderberry tortefor my lords before they retire?"

Helmer smiled, "Thank you, Peniel."

She bowed her head again and silently walked out of the room and into the kitchen.

Helmer cut the pastry and served his sons. The torte had a delectable taste and put Lucius' mind at ease as he ate it. They finished their dessert in silence and Peniel stepped in again to gather their dishes. Siegfried departed to his room after bidding Lucius and his father goodnight. Lucius sought to do the same, but Helmer asked if he would join him in the study.

Lucius followed the elf sage inside his private study for only the second time in his life. The first time, he was eleven years old and stepped inside without permission. He remembered seeing Helmer and Siegfried arguing about something. He had entered thinking they had called his name, but later learned the argument had been about him, the details of which have eluded him ever since.

Once inside, Helmer asked Lucius to take a seat in a wicker chair in front of a large desk adorned with the Silverhart crest on its side. The desk was piled with dusty tomes and scrolls. At the far end of the room stood large bookcases lining the entire wall and mysterious runes inscribed on parchments hung on the wall closest to the door. Beeswax candles flickered on an ornate candelabrum beside a lattice window where the moonlight shone through and into the study. The combination of candlelight and moonlight gave he room an ethereal glow. There was heavy smell of aged paper and leather inside, but it was a pleasing aroma to Lucius.

"It has been eight years since you first stepped into this room unannounced, Lucius. Do you remember?" Helmer questioned behind twinkling eyes.

Lucius looked around, "I do remember."

"It has been with great apprehension and excitement that I have awaited your entry again into this study for a revelation that will surely change your life."

"I don't understand, my lord," he furrowed his brow.

"Lucius, have I told you how you came to be in Verdania?"

"Yes, of course. I was left on the steps of the Marble Gate inside a woven sack. You and Siegfried found me upon returning from an errand in Numa," he said proudly.