Atlas: Excerpt

This is an excerpt from a future chapter of my other story, Atlas. It's a little cliche, but honestly it gave me some feels while writing it. I hope y'all feel them, too x

*

He looks at me from across the room, his back leaning against my dresser and his legs sprawled out in front of him. His two different eyes glint in the moonlight that passes between the open curtains and cracked-open window, and my heart hammers hard against my chest. Can he hear it? I worry about this until he murmurs, "Wanna play a game?"

I think back to our relationship and how it's played out up until now, and decide that nothing can hurt from this "game." I shrug in response and he grins cynically.

"Truth or dare, Pike?" he asks with a smooth voice. I nearly giggle at his decision on the game.

"Truth." I nearly curse myself when I say this - anything is better than the truth.

He gives me a small smile. "What do you think about the stars?"

I look at him with an unwavering gaze. "What about them?"

He shrugs his bare shoulders. He's still only half-dressed from his shower, his hair a tangled, wet mess. My heart hammers a little stronger. I swallow the lump that has formed in my throat and reply.

"They're... far away, I guess. Too far away to imagine how huge they are." I forbid myself to look at him as I say this all out loud. "They're beautiful to look at from far away, but up close they're just so... unrealistic. Kinda like you." My face is too hot and I begin to shrug my jacket off. "You're so cool to look at and admire, and then I come up close and... I'm scared you'll disappear."

As the words come out, the more I realize how true they are. How long have I been thinking about this? The room is full of tension and silence and I can't tell what kind of mood has settled in here because of me. Does he feel awkward? Have I said too much?

"Truth or dare," I repeat his earlier words, hoping he'll say at least one word.

"Truth," he rushes to say, nearly cutting my words off.

I raise my eyebrows in shock, but I don't look away from my window, too scared to see his face. "Why?"

I can feel his gaze. "Because I wanted to know." Silence, and then, "Can I have two turns in a row?"

I shrug, figuring there's nothing left for me to lose. "You made up the game," I try and huff out a laugh. "Truth," I say to the unspoken question.

I can't tell whose heart is beating louder. The room is so quiet. "Truth, you tell me how you feel." Just that question alone suffocates me. "Dare," he whispers. His voice is shaking. "You prove it."

I don't say anything. I don't breathe. I can't see anything, but when I turn my head, I see him.

I don't know what compels me to get on my knees and crawl to where he's staring at me with wild eyes, but when I stop and discover that our faces are only a mere foot away from each other, I can breathe again. His breath catches and he just stares and I stare back.

"You are my star," I whisper, and I close my eyes before I let myself do what my dreams have been full of.

I kiss him.