Making the Quran, alive

How did the Sahabah study the Quran?

If we take the example of Abdullah ibn Umar(ra), it took him 14 years to finish memorizing Surah Baqarah. He was so happy after he completed memorizing it that he slaughtered a camel and invited all the people to come celebrate with him.

Abdullah ibn Umar (r.a) was a companion of Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) and the Quran was revealed in his own language. Abdullah ibn Umar (ra) was also an eminent scholar. Then how is it that he took 14 years to memorize what is done nowadays by Muslims in a matter of months?

This is because...

The way that the Sahabah would study the Quran is that they would take ten ayaat at a time only. They would study these ten ayaat, study the eemaan, the ilm, the halal and the haram in these ayaat. They would memorize the ayaat and apply its rulings to their lives. They would not move onto the next ten ayaat until they had brought their lives into compliance with the first ten.

The Quran thus became alive and second nature to them, its knowledge was not wasted and lost. 

This hadith makes clear that application is important with the recitation.
So, friends keep it mind to imply it while you recite the Quran.