Be in the service of Islam

This is the story of a young man who despite his high status in life did not despair or think twice of making use of what Allah has blessed him in the service of Islam and for it to propagate and spread out.

You might all know Dar Al Arqam - the first house of Islam as many have called it but is more known as the first school of Islam. Now, a question arises - who was Arqam? Let me tell you a bit about this wonderful sahabi.

His name is Arqam Ibn Abil Arqam Makhzumi Radiyallahu Anhu. He was a 20-year-old young man when the Quraish of Makkah were continuously creating hardships in the way of the Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wassalaam) and his companions.

This was the time when the Quraish were ceaselessly persecuting the early Muslims. Hence, the Muslims needed a place where they could gather and sit peacefully without interruption and could educate, train and cleanse their character through Islam - and during this moment Arqam came and opened his doors for them.

Dar Al Arqam was situated near the foot of Mount Safa hence it was a very safe place and the early Muslims could enter and exit it without being noticed. Also, having Arqam come from a very influential household - Makhzumi - no one thought of it being a place of gathering for the early Muslims.

It is said that Dar Al Arqam was a very big house and that the Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wassalaam) had a generous liking of it. This was also the very place where two of the greatest companions of the Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wassalaam) accepted and announced their Islam - Hamza Ibn Abdul Muttalib Radiyallahu Anhu (the uncle of the Prophet) and ‘Umar Ibn Al Khattab Radiyallahu Anhu (the second caliph of Islam).

When Islam propagated and was spread out, he gave the custody of Dar Al Arqam to his son with the condition of it not being sold to anyone but after later generations, one of his descendants was forced to sell it.
Dar Al Arqam is still situated in the same place in Makkah but is now known as Dar Al Khayzuran. It still stands opposite the Kaabah and is now a religious school.

Arqam Ibn Abil Arqam was a known skilled warrior and is from the Muhajirun. He fought alongside the Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wassalaam) in all of his battles and was given a sword called Al Marzuban. He outlived most of the early Muslims and reached until the reign of Mu’awiyah. He lived his life in the service of Islam just like how he started when he entered the fold of Islam.

_____

Subhan’Allah, may this story inspire a lot of you in being generous and letting go of the things that you have acquired in this dunya in a way that they are converted into a more beneficial act - in the service of Islam.

It doesn’t need to be a big house nor should it be of full extravagance but it should be a place where people would not gossip about others rather they will speak and talk about Allah, about Islam to learn and grow together.

My dear brothers and sisters in Islam, it is a high time that we open our doors for the service of Islam, invite a new Muslim home, someone who is in need of companionship especially when they are new to Islam and they do not have someone who can guide and help them.

Be in the service of Islam, in everything that you do and see how Allah will increase you in things that would benefit you. In sha Allah.
_____

May Allah rekindle our hearts and make us more willing to do deeds in the service of Islam.

Zohayma
_____

Story was taken from:

[1] Tabaqaat Ibn Saad, Vol. 3
[2] The Companions of Badr, p. 185
[3] Sirat Ar Rasullullah, Ibn Ishaq
Tumblr