Chapter 20 - Father in Law

Norman POV

"I need my baby girl back, Ger. I can't imagine what she is going through at the hands of that monster." I grimace. I don't want to think of what he could possibly be doing to her. "We need to march on his land now!"

"Easy, Norm. I understand you want your daughter back. We all want her back, but we need to have a plan first before we just walk up to Colton. You know what he is capable of. I refuse to endanger my wolves for her. I'm sorry but it's just how it's going to be!" Gerald asserts. 

"I can't accept this!" I yell, smashing my fists on his desk. The sound of wood splintering echoes through the air. Gerald gives me a warning glare. "I'm sorry. I lost my temper." 

"It's fine. I do understand what you are going through. I would do anything to get Lucas back if he was taken, but we need to be smart with this." He gets up from his chair and walks over to the window beside his desk. "I have allies that owe me some favours. I have already sent for their help and they have all agreed to join us. It puts our numbers up to twelve hundred."

"I'm not sure if that is enough. Last I heard, Alpha Colton, has closed to five thousand at his beck and call." Beta Thomas butts in. 

"Yes, but they are spread throughout his multiple districts. In his main district where he resides and where we assume Skylar is located at, there should only be five hundred to a thousand wolves. It would take hours, if not days, for the others to join him. We can use that to our advantage." Gerald counters. 

"As long as we are quiet about this, it will work. We can't let him know when we will be on his land." I state. 

"That will be the hard part. In order to do that, we will have to avoid other packs that could potentially send word to Colton." Beta Thomas advises. 

"But that could add days! Skylar might not have that much time!" I bellow. My anger begins to seep through my pores. 

"If he is alerted, he could do something to hurt Skylar." Beta Thomas cautions. 

"Thomas, I highly doubt anyone would do that. How many Alphas do you see allied with Colton? Truthfully, I don't think he has a friend throughout the entire country. I say we take the most direct route. We can be there within three to four hours. It also gives him less time to prepare." Gerald says. We both look at Beta Thomas for his approval. He seems to be conflicted but eventually offers us a nod in agreement.

"So it's settled?" I ask.

"It's settled. I will call up our allies and have them meet us at a mutual location that is en route to Colton's pack. Thomas, you prepare our warriors. Leave fifty to keep our lands secure. Norm, I need you to gather my son. I don't know where that boy disappears to, but he needs to be here for this." Gerald orders. "We leave in two hours. You are dismissed."

Beta Thomas and I bow our heads before leaving Gerald's office. I close the door behind us and head towards the living area of the pack house to begin my search for Lucas.

"This may be a death sentence for us all, Norman." Beta Thomas warns. "Is it really worth it?"

A growl threatens to escape my lips at his words, but miraculously I keep it contained. "If it was your daughter, would you just leave her be?" 

He sighs. "Sometimes you have to do what's best for the pack, Norman." He suggests, walking off towards to training yard. 

"And sometimes you have to do what's best for your family," I mumble to myself. 

I begin my search for Lucas. Chances are he is with his secret mate out in the forest somewhere, so that is where I begin my search. 

It doesn't take long for me to catch the Alpha-to-be's scent. I find him sitting at the river bank with Will, his mate. His arm is around Will's shoulders and I can hear their whispers of promises being passed to one another.