I Love You, I Love You Not

Walking out to the parking lots, Taylor ran up to me and grabbed my arm excitedly, pulling me away from the group. "Hey Lee, can I ask you something?" she chirped brightly.

I frowned and pulled my arm out of her grip. "You just did."

She laughed, loud and bubbly and right into my ear. I cringed away, wondering when my eardrums would start bleeding. "You're so funny, Lee!" she cooed. "But seriously, you and Brandon aren't dating right?"

I froze, flushing red and stumbling over my words like a fool. "What? No we're not- I mean that would be silly because he's such jerk- so yeah- I mean no, I mean why, why do you ask?"

"Well..." she drew out, smiling hugely. "I think I might ask him out!"

My eyes widened and I gasped, nearly tripping over my own feet. "What? No, you can't - you can't do that he"-

"Why not?" she smirked. "I thought you guys weren't dating."

"I...we're not but...he....he said he doesn't date people at this school."

"Well he's dated before. I think"-

"Anymore," I amended quickly. "He said he doesn't date girls at this school anymore...too much drama."

For a moment Taylor looked crestfallen and I thought my plan was working, but then she looked up at me, a determined look in her eyes. "I love a challenge," she purred. "I mean at first I totally hated him because he's such a jerk but at the same time he's totally hot! I mean he's such a bad boy and can you imagine the control we'd have over the school if we dated? We'd be the ultimate power couple!"

I glared at her, not liking the way she clearly was only into him physically. "You know a relationship isn't just about image, Taylor."

Her almond eyes widened at me as if surprised I didn't know. "Why of course it is sweetie." Then turning from me dramatically she turned her face towards the sky, flicking her locs from her face. "Imagine: to be known as the girl who tamed the beast....Oh my god we could even go as Beauty and the Beast for Halloween! I could put him in a"-

"He's a person not a puppy, Tay!" I snapped, getting irritated with her.

She stopped yammering, looking at me with a cross expression. "So you don't mind if I ask him out...right?"

About to give her a piece of my mind I saw Brandon from over her shoulder, watching us with a guarded expression. I faltered when our eyes met.

I missed him.

Sure it had only been a week but still. Maybe this would be good. He made it clear how he felt, or make that didn't feel about me. Maybe it was time for me to stop chasing fairy-tales and move the hell on.

I sighed in defeat, turning away from her, turning away from him. "Do what you want, Tay," I muttered. "I don't care."

"Yay! Thank you!" she shouted cheerfully to my retreating back.

"Whatever," I muttered. "I don't care what you do with Brandon."

"Liar," my heart whispered.

°°°

Brandon carpooled with Elyssa, Taylor and Rickie, and I carpooled with Corbin, Mars, and Krystia. That's also how we sat once we got to The Shaq. By coincidence we sat at the spot that Brandon and I used to sit at, and though Brandon and I met eyes over the table, he quickly looked away.

Mars seemed to have sensed that Brandon and I were no longer speaking, because he was being bold with his actions now when he hadn't been before when he thought we were an item. He sat right next to me, and was annoyingly touchy-feely throughout dinner. When the waitress came around he announced my order for me, and while I was annoyed with him, I was already using up too many emotions on other people to waste any on him.