Lights, Camera...

It was surprisingly easy to trick my mom into giving me extra helpings of breakfast; turns out she had made more than enough anyway, forgetting that Kolden was gone. Unfortunately for Brandon, I could not bring the food up on two separate plates. That would've have just screamed suspicious. To my surprise, sharing a plate with him wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be, actually, it wasn't awkward at all.

He ended up eating most of it, and after laughing and calling him a pig I brought the plate back downstairs. Usually my mom had a strict rule at always eating at the table, but she was lenient on weekends. Brandon offered to drive me to the school since he was forced to go as well anyway and I agreed, telling him to meet me outside.

I ran down the stairs, almost suspicious at how smooth the morning was going considering the fact that I had just snuck the guy my family hates into my room, and let him sleep in my bed last night. As if granting my wish my mom stopped me as I got to the door.

"You left your keys. Aren't you driving today?"

I paused with my hand on the knob, slowly pivoting on my heel as I thought of what to say. "Um...not today. Lyssa's picking me up."

"I haven't seen her around lately. You two okay?"

"Yep," I squeaked nervously. "We're great. And late. So....see you later..."

"Tell her to stop by for dinner later!" my mom called as I ran out the door and let it swing shut behind me. I shuddered at her suggestion. Even though Elyssa was practically family, after last night's "family dinner with friends" fiasco I never wanted to hear the words "friends, over and dinner" in the same sentence ever again.

I had to walk a little ways down the street to reach the place where Brandon had parked his car. We had to make sure it was far enough from my house, and any other blabbing, nosy neighbors. A part of me felt guilty for sneaking around, but a bigger part of me just enjoyed the thrill of it all. Taking risks and doing something fun with someone I liked.

"You ready to get this show on the road?" I asked as soon as I plopped down in the passenger seat of his truck.

He snorted as he turned the key and started the car. "No. This is so stupid, how long is this gonna take?"

"As long as it has to. I told you we have a show"--

"In about three months time, blah, blah, blah."

I shot him a sidelong glance, an idea springing to mind. "You know....this whole thing would probably go a lot faster if you were more than just a 'stage hand' ya know..."

"What like if I auditioned for the role of Tree number three?" he scoffed, unamused. "As if."

"First of all, we do not have any trees with lines in this play. Second of all... I'm serious. You should seriously audition." after he shot daggers at me with his eyes I added, "you sure have a flare for the dramatics."

A smile tugged one corner of his lips up into an adorably crooked smile. "Must be some of you rubbing off on me."

My face tingled at his words, and I wondered for a moment if I was actually blushing. And if I was, why?! Just in case I was I stared out the window. "So whattaya say? You wanna audition? I'd be an excellent coach."

"Nah."

His answer was simple. Too simple. I looked back at him, the wheels in my head turning. "Why not? I mean seriously. You really should join some type of sport or...club...something."

He lifted one shoulder lazily. "I'm not really into clubs or group things...anything that requires me having to socialize with a bunch of people at once."