X

Lin and Pippa made eye contact with no words for at least fifteen seconds. Lin looked nowhere else but Pippa's beautiful chocolate brown eyes that he could stare into forever.

"Can we talk?" Lin asked.

Pippa continued to stare. Every thought of Lin she ever had of him all came back at once. She was confused. Why was he here? Is Vanessa putting him up to this?

Lin broke eye contact and looked at Pippa's appearance. A mess- she looked pathetic. But Lin could never tell her that. He looked at her sweatpants to her stained shirt to her messy bun- but finally, to the strawberry vodka in her hand.

"What the fuck is that?!" Lin screamed as he tried to pull the bottle from Pippa, but she pulled back.

Lin was now inside Pippa's house, pulling on the vodka bottle like it was a game of tug-a-war. They kept going back in forth, the words "Are you fucking crazy?!" screaming from Lin's mouth and the words "Stop it! Leave it alone!" From Pippa's.

After a little while of tugging back and forth for the vodka, Lin finally tanked it out of Pippa's hands so forcefully and hard that it knocked Pippa to the ground. They both stood there in awe at each other, trying to catch their breath in complete silence.

Before Pippa completely broke.

She felt tears slowly fall down, so she pulled her knees to her face and started crying while hiding her face. Lin felt his heart break in his chest. Pippa's voice was the sweetest and smoothest thing- but he didn't want to hear her cry.

Lin walked to the front door and shut it, then sat next to Pippa on the floor. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer to her and just sat there not saying a word for ten minutes. He hugged her and rubbed her back and played with her hair as she began to relax.

"Phillipa... The vodka can really hurt the baby... What... Why would you-"
"I-I panicked..." Pippa muttered. "I can't do it alone... I-I can't even t-take care of myself. A b-baby? I can't, Lin- I can't..."
"You're not doing it alone. I'm here for this baby. I told you that and I promised," Lin cooed to Pippa.

Pippa wanted to scream 'Say that to Vanessa' at the top of her lungs; but she couldn't find the heart to say something like that.
"You already have to take c-care of Vanessa..." Pippa cried out.
Lin pulled his head away and looked at Pippa in confusion. "Pippa... Vanessa and I have been broken up for a while."
"Lin..." Pippa said as she pulled her head up. Her eyes were blood shot red, she looked like she was high and her cheeks were tear stained. "I went to your house to talk? And... I-I heard what you said to Vanessa about just being my friend... And... How you loved her..."

The words tasted like poison in Phillipa's mouth. She hated the fact that Lin loved anyone else besides herself. She took a deep breath and looked back at Lin.

"Pippa... Vanessa has been my rock for years. I love her. I do. But we weren't right for each other. And, it's going to take time to get over her. A lot of time. But... Pippa, I-I feel something for you. And it's more then... Then friendship or, lust or anything like that. You're special, Phillipa. You came into my life for a reason. Not just because of the baby. Truth be told- I-I.... I told Vanessa I didn't want to have kids..."

Pippa stopped and stared into Lin's bug chocolate eyes as he did the same for her. Lin looked away, sighed, then looked back at Pippa.

"Then why did you tell me you want this baby?" Pippa asked.
"Because... I really, really thought I didn't want kids. But, I think I just didn't want kids with Vanessa. She has a... Temper. Whenever we'd fight, I would always say she wouldn't make a good mother. She'd tell me she wouldn't want to be my baby's mother. I know she didn't mean it.  But... I think she thought I didn't mean it when I told her she'd be an awful mother. But I wasn't. I could never picture Vanessa as a mother. But, you, Pippa- you're amazing. You're careful, smart, humble, sweet, trusting, patient, loving, and caring. You're the perfect mother. And I saw that in you from day one. I knew you were an amazing person the moment you came over and checked up on some random stranger at a bar. And, now that you're having my baby, I know you'd be an amazing mother. I know you'd be an amazing friend. An amazing girlfriend. An amazing wife. You're just... Amazing, Phillipa. You really are. And, I-I don't know if you see that; but I sure as hell do," Lin explained.

Pippa felt more tears fall from her eyes. She wiped them away and looked back at Lin. But these tears weren't from thinking Lin loved someone else. It wasn't from Lin not being in her life. They were tears of joy.

The thought of Lin wanting Pippa in his life was astounding to her. She wanted Lin in her life- as a friend, a boyfriend, a husband, and a father to the baby. She knew it. But she didn't know if he wanted that too. But- now she did.

"You really want that?" Pippa asked with a smile. "You want me in your life? As a mother?"
"Oh, Phillipa... I want you in my life more than just a mother. I... I want you. I want you to be mine. I want to be able to say 'that's my baby' or 'this is my girl.' I want to protect you and hold you and kiss you and everything. I don't know if you feel the same way, but I-"

Pippa put her hand over his mouth and rolled her eyes playfully. "Just shut up and kiss me."

And just like that- Lin listened for once.