VII

One Week Later

Jasmine sipped her coffee as Renee placed her mug back down on the glass table. Pippa hadn't touched her iced tea the whole time they were at the cafe, Renee and Jasmine knew something was wrong with their girl.

"What's going on, Pip?" Jasmine asked, Pippa sighed.
"I don't know... Everyone's just so... happy lately. You guys have boyfriends, Lin has Vanessa, Theodosia has Leslie... When am I gonna get my happiness?" Pippa sighed, Jasmine and Renee exchanged looks before looking at Pippa.
"Pippa, you're pregnant! That's one of the best things ever! Especially when you thought you couldn't have babies," Renee laughed.
"It's not happiness when the father isn't interested in you," Pippa cried before hurrying her head into her hands, trying not to cry.
"Oh, baby... You have feelings for Lin don't you?" Jasmine asked.
"I...I think so..." Pippa muttered out.
"You don't know that he doesn't! Think about it; he takes you out shopping, takes you out for drinks, and always texts you. Maybe he is into you!" Renee encouraged.
"He does that to all his friends," Pippa said as she pulled her head to. "I'm just a friend with a baby..."
"You'll never know if you don't try. Maybe you should just wait for it. Great things happen to those who wait," Jasmine faintly smiled.
"I tried waiting after Jason and I broke up from his cheating. All I got from that was fatter," Pippa said pointing to her baby bump.
"Oh shush. You just rushed into things. Now- you have an actual chance!" Renee exclaimed.
"Yeah! You and Lin have known each other for a while now. You have a good chance at getting at him!" Jasmine agreed.
"Did you fucking idiots realize he has a girlfriend?" Pippa spat, Jasmine and Renee looked at her funny. "Sorry. Mood swings."
"I get it," Renee said as she sipped her coffee. "It sucks. Love sucks. But you can't just give up on Lin because of some girl."
"I'm not a damn home wrecker Renee," Pippa sighed. "All I want is to love and be loved. Why is that so hard?"
"Because people don't realize how good they have it when you're around until they lose you," Renee answered, Jasmine nodded.
"When's Lin going to realize that, then? Because he seems pretty damn happy with his girl," Pippa growled- but the girls didn't take it to heart. They know she's been stressed. "I'm never gonna find someone."
"Don't say that!" Jasmine exclaimed. "You're beautiful, funny, charming, trusting and kind. So- Jason wasn't your match. Who cares? Maybe Lin wasn't either. That doesn't mean you give up because two men out of the billions there are didn't work out with you."

Pippa and Renee both sat in silence. Nobody knew how to respond to that. Pippa knew Jas was right. But she didn't want to admit it.

"But what if Lin's the only person out of the billions there are the I want?" Pippa asked, Jasmine and Renee exchanged looks.
"You're... Really into him, aren't you?" Renee asked.
Pippa sighed. "I don't know if I'm into him or...I just miss the attention I got..."
"Only one way to find out," Jasmine replied, Renee nodded, and Pippa sighed- knowing her best friends were right.

Two hours later, Pippa had finally gathered the courage to tell Lin how she felt. She didn't care about rejection- she needed to tell him. Pippa's car pulled outside Lin's house, but she just sat back in her seat and took deep breathes. She went over what she wanted to say in her mind multiple times before unbuckling her seat belt and opening the car door.

She stepped outside the car and shut the door behind her as she gazed into Lin's house. She noticed lights on and Lin's car outside- but there was another car outside. She knew the var from somewhere- but she couldn't put her finger on it. Pippa took a final deep breath and started walking up to Lin's front door. 

Pippa walked up the stairs with a confident smile as her hand lifted to knock on the door. She knocked, but nobody answered. She could hear voices from inside, but the voices were getting louder and louder. She could make out one voice- Lin. Pippa couldn't help but eavesdrop.

"-You don't think I know? You don't think I know how you look at her? How you feel about her? I'm not stupid like you think I am!" A female voice screamed. 
"I didn't say you were stupid! The words from your mouth are stupid! You think I have feelings for her? I don't! She's just, kinda... There! In my life! That's it!" Lin shouted back. 
"No! You like her! If you didn't- you wouldn't have knocked her up!" 

Pippa could feel her heart stop in her chest. She stood frozen- she realized Lin was talking to Vanessa- about her. Pippa's brown eyes were wide open, along with her mouth. Pippa looked down at the baby in her stomach, then snapped out of her trance. 

"-I don't! Van, we're on shitty terms. I know you're mad. I don't like her, Van! I love you! I fucking love you!" 

Again, Pippa could feel her heart stop. But this time; she could feel it breaking. The one man she thought she had a chance with- the one person who she believed could give her a chance. Her final chance at true love. Her final chance at happily ever after, was just thrown away. All of her hopes and confidence died down until she had nothing left inside her except for anger, fear, confusion, and sadness. 

I'm so dumb... Pippa thought to herself. A man like him... With a girl like me... How stupid am I?

Pippa slowly backed away from the door as Vanessa's and Lin's voice faded out. She turned around and walked back to her car, but turned back and looked at the house one final time. 

You have forfeited all rights to my heart... She thought to herself, she wiped her eyes to prevent crying. I hope that you burn...