II

Lin didn't think about Phillipa Soo after that. They were too drunk to exchange numbers, and neither of them made any attempt to contact each other, so they just forgot that each other existed. Either way, Lin and Vanessa got back together a week after Pippa and Lin went home together.

It was beginning to turn into Winter, but there was still no snow on the ground. Lin was at home relaxing, it was his day off after all. Anthony and Oak had both gotten the girls numbers from the club but Lin had never met either of them. Anthony over time had gotten actual feelings for the girl, and Lin wasn't too sure about Oak. Daveed and Leslie didn't meet anyone from that night, but neither of them were actually looking for a relationship.

It was still early in the afternoon, and nobody was around. Lin hadn't bothered to make plans today, he just wanted to relax. Who knew it could all be ruined within one phone call?

Lin felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. He instantly started grabbing for it, hoping it was Vanessa. But it wasn't. It was an unsaved number, but it was a New York number. Lin could tell from the first three numbers. He slide to answer it, and as soon as he did, he was met with a panicking voice.

"Hello?"
"Lin!"

The voice was a soft female voice, and it was so familiar. But Lin couldn't recognize it.

"Who's this?"
"Pippa. From last month."
"Oh...God. How'd you get this number?"
"Lin. I'm pregnant."

Lin froze. Those words sounded like nails on a chalk board to him. He hadn't heard from Pippa in a month. Why did she have to tell him NOW? The phone call fell silent, nobody said a thing. Until Pippa broke the silence.

"It's yours, Lin."

Lin felt his heart stop in his chest. He started panicking. He could feel himself start to have a panic attack, until he took a deep breath in and out.

"You know Casterwood Park?" Linasked.
"Um, yeah," Pippa answered with a shaky voice.
"Meet you there now."

Ten mintues later, Lin's car pulled up into the Casterwood Park parkinglot. He parked and hurried out the door and looked around, when he spotted Pippa sitting down on a park bench with her head buried in her hands.

Lin took in a deep breath, and got the courage to walk over. When he approached her, Pippa removed her head from her hands and instantly stood up, and Lin noticed a bump in her stomach. He stared at it in awe, but neither of them said anything.

"Look around," Pippa said as she rubbed her hands around her stomach, Lin hurried over and started to gently rub the baby bump.

"How long have you known?"
"A month or so."
"Phillipa, you should have told me."
"I wrote to your best friend a month ago-"
"No."
"He said you were with some else."
"You should have told me."
"I'm not sorry."

Lin looked up at her as soon as she said it. She just stared at him with worry all over his face.

"What?" He asked.
Pippa sighed. "My best friend Jasmine is talking to your friend Anthony. I... Mentioned it to her, she told Anthony and he said you had gotten back with your girlfriend... I didn't want to be a homewrecker. But, this baby, is here. It's real. It's yours. I don't expect you to want to care for this child, but, I am going to need child support when it's born."

Lin paused for a minute. He was at a loss for words. Pippa was right. He didn't want to be the father to a child that wasn't Lin's girlfriend or wife. He didn't want to be in the child's life. At first.

"Phillipa... My father wasn't around. I want to be around for this baby. I swear I'll be around for them," Lin answered, Pippa's face lit up.
"You want to raise the baby?" She asked.
"I don't want this baby to be raised like I was. My father left, my mother died, I grew up buck-wild. But, I swear, I'll be around," Lin smiled, Pippa smiled back and ran over and hugged him, he hugged her back until she let go.
"What about your girlfriend?" Pippa asked.
"Fuck..." Lin muttered. "It's not like I cheated. I was single when we hooked up. I have to tell her. But, not now. But I swear I'll be around for this baby," Lin said with a faint smile, Pippa's face once again lit up.
"I didn't have a mother," Pippa confessed. "I had my dad. It sucks. I want this baby to have both parents."
"Then it will."

Pippa and Lin hugged, and all he could feel was the baby bump pressed against his stomach. He felt proud yet worried. He had always wanted a child, but he always planned to have one with someone he's involved with. Not some girl he met at a bar one drunk night.

Lin kept wondering why Pippa wanted to keep the baby. What made it so special to her that a stranger wanted to get with her and get her pregnant that she would keep it?

"Pippa," Lin stated. "Why are you keeping it?"
Pippa paused and jut stared blankly at him. "I...Lin. I'm against abortion."
Lin paused, she didn't sound so sure. He could tell she was lying. But he figured now wasn't the best time to confront her. "But, for now, I won't be showing up at your front door. I'm not that crazy. But- save my number. If anything happens, or I need some fatherly advice, I'll be in contact with you."
"Yeah. Yeah, of course," Lin said, Pippa faintly smiled and began to walk away. "Wait!" Lin called before she walked too far away. "Let me, uh, walk you to your car."

Pippa smiled, nodded, and Lin came over to his side. They walked the long way out of the park and into the parking lot, until they reached a four-door black Honda, Pippa stood in front of the drivers seat, indicating it was hers.

"I don't want to force you into fatherhood. I know this is... Totally unexpected," Pippa awkwardly laughed. "But... I don't want me to be able to tell this baby that I had barley known the father for an hour."
"No... I get it. I appreciate you tried... I know it was also unexpected that Vanessa and I were back together," Lin faintly smiled.
"Lin I didn't even really want to tell you, if I'm being honest. Once I heard you had a girl, I didn't want to be a homewrecker. I still don't, I... I just can't raise a baby by myself," Pippa confessed.
"I wouldn't want the mother of my baby to be a single parent. Especially because you were so nice to me when we first met," Lin responded as Pippa popped open the driver seat door.
"Well, thank you. It really means a lot. I'll keep you updated," Pippa smiled, then she sat down and put her keys in the ignition. Lin waved, smiled, and started to walk away. "Hey- Lin?"
Lin turned back around, Pippa had her head poked out the door as Lin headed over. "Boy or girl?"
"What?"
"If you could pick- would you want a boy or a girl?" Pippa smiled, Lin laughed.
"Um... If I could choose- I want a boy," he thought out.
"I'm gonna say a girl. Someone to have tea parties with and play dress up with," Pippa laughed. "But, whatever it is, if this child could share a fraction of your smile- look out world, that would be enough."

Lin felt his cheeks get red, looked at the ground and started smiling. Pippa got back in the car and shut the door, and Lin walked back to his. The whole way home, two things were on his mind; how he was going to raise a baby with a women who wasn't involved with him, and how he was going to explain this to Vanessa.