9

The trip to the Westlands Swordsmen Tournament was a week’s ride from Royston. Damon was, finally, ready to duel someone who wasn’t his father.

    The two, each riding rented stallions, crested the hill, and the arena came into full view. Damon smiled widely. He gave his horse a kick, and it sped away.

    As he rapidly approached the front, he saw a large man standing in his way, waving his arms frantically.

    Damon pulled the reins, and his horse came to a stop a few feet from the man, who gasped for breath.

    Damon looked back, and saw his father slowly riding down. He reached Damon just as the man had gathered enough breath to speak. “Would you like me to take your horses?” he said

    Damon’s father climbed off his horse, pulled a few coins from his pouch and gave them to the stableboy.

    Damon hopped off his horse, and allowed it to be taken. He looked across the front of the arena, and saw a long table set up, with several lines of people extending from it.

    The registration table.

    “Damon,” his father said. “You take care of the registering, and I’ll go find us an inn.”

    Damon nodded, turned, and stepped into the shortest line he could find. He looked over the other people. He counted at least ten other lines, each containing around the same number of occupants.

He hadn’t realized there would be so many people. After a few minutes, someone behind him poked his shoulder, and he looked forward to see he was next.

The lady behind the table smiled at him as he walked up. “Name?” she asked.

“Damon Dwarfslayer.”

“ You’re Named? That's interesting. I always wondered what that was like,” she said.

Damon gave a small smile, and shrugged . “It’s no big deal.”

“No big deal? Are you kidding? Trust me, Damon Dwarfslayer is a much better name than Jasmin Registrater.”

Damon shuffled uncomfortably.

“Look,” the lady continued, “Your name’s special. All I’m saying is be proud of it.”

There was silence between for a few seconds.

Jasmin Registrator sighed. “Is this your first year?”

Damon nodded.

“Well, then you’ll be starting tomorrow.”