4

Damon awoke to a horrible shaking. His father stood over him, responsible for his rude awakening.

"I thought I didn't have work today," he grumbled, rubbing his eyes.

"You don't," his father replied, "but you do have sword training."

Damon pushed himself out of bed, and rushed to change quickly. His father chuckled, as he walked out of the room. Damon pulled on his tunic, and followed.

His father was in the courtyard that served as the backyard for four different houses, each of which pointed a different direction.

A post had been set up in the middle, holding together a rope and pulley system. A bag of what Damon assumed was rocks hung from one side of the rope.

His father picked up the opposite side. "Hold this with two hands."

Damon did so.

His father backed up. "Pull on it."

Damon pulled on the rope, and the rocks lifted on the other side. They weren't as heavy as he'd thought.

"Now, Damon, I want you pretend like that rope is a sword."

"Why can't I just use a real sword?" Damon asked.

"Just do it, son."

Damon sighed. He closed his eyes. "Fine. I'm pretending."

"Okay, then, swing left."

Damon swung left.

"Swing right."

Damon swung right.

"Down. Left Diagonal. Right Diagonal."

Damon swung each of these respectively.

Damon and his father continued this for several minutes, before Damon was told to stop.

He cocked his head, and stared at his father. "What?"

"I said, 'Stop.' You can go inside now. Training's over."

"But I can keep going! We just got out here!"

"Yes, but you're slowing down. There's no point in continuing if you're not going at your best. Don't worry, we'll do this again in two days."

"Two days!"

"Yes. We have to give your body time to recuperate."

Damon sighed, and, reluctantly, let go of the rope. The rocks smacked against the floor. He walked away, leaving his father alone in the courtyard.