The Reaping

(disclaimer: hunger games is all by suzanne collins, not me, just doing a random fanfic POV of it. but please read anyway)

I woke up, it was early in the morning. I looked out of the window, great, no Peacekeepers. I put on my sandals, careful not to wake my parents and siblings, and walked outside. The sun was just coming up. I yawned. Today was the Reaping. Today, two families will be mourning that their kids are possibly going to die while the others celebrate that their children were spared for another year. Please don't pick me, I think to myself. But I won't worry about that now. I have a job to do.

I walk through District 11, one of the out-line districts. If I was caught doing what I'm about to do, the Peacekeepers would kill me. Or worse, my family. Nevertheless, I won't be caught.

I reached the edge of the town, where the start of our farms are, because 11 is the agriculture district. I find a good, sturdy tree, and climb it. I look over our crops, it's a lovely view. I take a deep breath, push myself back, and then I launch myself forwards, to the next tree, repeating this several times before stopping. Underneath me are dozens of rows of berry bushes. Out of my pocket I take a small container, and I start picking the berries. I fit in as many as I can, because the more I get, the more we eat.

I start heading back to what I call home. It's not much, but I dont mind. I'm sure my family will be awake by now. We have to get ready for the Reaping. I walk into my home.

"Good morning Rue," says my mum

"Morning mum," I reply. "I've brought some berries for breakfast."

"Oh thanks, when you've finished your breakfast I've laid out some Reaping clothes for you, so you can go get them."

"Ok. Where are the others?"

"Still in bed."

I sit down and eat, thinking about the Reaping. I was twelve this year, so this reaping will be my first. And maybe my last.

I finished my breakfast and go to my bed. Laid out on it is a plain green dress. I get changed quickly and sit down. And all too soon a bell sounds. That bell means time to go to the town square. If you don't show up, the Peacekeepers will search the town and find you. If your aren't just about to die, they'll kill you.

I stand up, and I walk with my mum to the square.

On stage, is District 11's mayor, Ostro Wellwood and this years mentor, who this year is suprisingly a female. Her name is Ashleen Lockhearst, and she won the 55th Hunger Games when she was sixteen years old by using survival skills and staying in high trees. Simple, but obviously effective.

Also on stage is this years crazy Capitol escort Dixie Rosehearty. And when I say crazy, I mean crazy. She has bright coloured tattoos everywhere on her body, extremely long eyelashes and fingernails, rainbow coloured hair that is somehow tied in a bow and of course has the strange capitol accent.

She starts by saying, "Welcome welome. The time has come for the 74th annual Hunger Games Reaping. How exciting! But first, brought to you all the way from the Capitol is a special video." And the video plays. It talks about how we once used to live in a country known as North America, but then how war struck. One of the Districts, District 13, was entirely destroyed. How people died and how afterwards the people reunited and gave us this new country, Panem. Then it goes on talking about the treaty of Treason, that states that from now on, each District in Panem shall give two young people from ages 12-18 for a fight to the death challenge. Only one remains.

The clip ends and Dixie starts talking again. "Now, time to chose this years tributes for District 11. What an honour! Ok, as usual, ladies first." she walks over to a big glass ball, containing hundreds of slips of paper with each girls name on it. She can't pick me, she can't. I think.

"This years female tribute is... Rue Cronin!'

What? she did not just say my name. The world around me starts spinning. The truth is, I'm in the Hunger Games, I'm going to die. I finally get my legs moving, and walk slowly up on stage. "Any volunteers?" Dixie asks. But there are none. I see my family, crying. My younger siblings don't understand what just happened, by they will in future. I look at the rest of the crowd, and I know what they are thinking. This is wrong. Twelve year olds shouldnt get picked, well actually no one should. Right now, I hate the 'genius' who created the Hunger games. Why me? I was so busy thinking to myself, that I don't hear the male who got called. I snap out if it, and looked to my right.

The boy standing next to me looks familiar. I know him, I think. His name is.. Thresh? Oh well that doesn't really matter. Look at him. He's eighteen. He's big, muscly, and looks quite intimidating. He could actually have a shot at winning. But me on the other hand, I am completly opposite.

No one looks happy, except Dixie. Peacekeepers grab us, and take us inside the Justice building. This is where we will say our final (maybe) goodbyes to our families. Thresh and I go into seperate rooms. I don't have to wait long, until my family comes in.

Crying, and hugging. Lots of it. "I'll miss you so much" my mum says. I look over to dad. He is with my sisters and brother (a/n i forgot how many siblings she has so if i'm wrong, deal with it :P) an he is crying. My dad, crying. "I love you so much Rue. Please try to win." They say.

"I will, I'll try to win for you guys. But if I don't-" "Rue stop. Don't think that," my dad says. Remember, you are smart, and you can use a slingshot. It isn't much, I know, but it could be useful."

I nod. When I was younger, I would get teased by other because I was so small. "Don't let them bring you down" my dad would say, and so I wouldnt get hurt, he made me a small weapon, a slingshot. He taught me how to use it, and, well, I never got teased again.

A Peacekeeper came in "Times up" he said and started dragging my family out of the room. I hugged and kissed my siblings and parents one more time. "You can do it Rue. We love you!" They were getting farther and farther away. "I love you too!" I yelled, just before the door shut. That was it. No more visitors.

Peacekeepers lead me and Thresh outside, into a car that would take us to a Capitol train, especially for tributes. Cameras were everywhere, so I tried not to cry. Be strong Rue, I thought. We got out of the car, and Dixie lead us to the train. Also with us was Ashleen. She seems nice, so I'm glad she was there. The train door slid open and we were ushered inside.

Goodbye District 11.

Hi everyone!

This is my first book, so if it's bad, soz. Hopefully some people will read it, because then i can continue this book. If not, i'll just delete it. But if you are reading this, you just received a free hug! yaaay. Ok soooo yeah, comment and tell me what u think, and i may just continue this. I wasn't meaning for this to be a big thing as it is my first so i'd appreciate feedback. Keep on reading! thnx,

da_happy_mockingjay! ;D