Chapter 9

Bernie's P.O.V

I woke to the sound of heavy breathing next to me, it was a sound long forgotten and unfamiliar. I shifted slowly to run my eyes and straighten myself out, sleeping on the floor was not comfortable. Serena started to stir next to me and so I froze until she grew still again. A low hum came from the tv and I could smell the alcohol.

No light was filtering through from behind the curtains and the thin material gave way to the fact it was dark outside. I was sure Serena hadn't planned to stay the night but I didn't want to wake the woman clearly so exhausted. My back ached and god did my legs heart but I didn't want to move from my position which was presently lovingly pressed against Serena Campbell. So slowly I drifted back to sleep, her breath warm against my skin.

~~

At work I kept stealing glances at Serena, we had talked lightly over coffee this morning and  then driven to work together. 

"Would you like me to take you home first, I imagine you'll want to change" I had asked her as the car pulled smoothly out of the drive. "I have  change of clothes at the office" She'd said after a brief moment. The rest of the car journey was relatively quiet neither of us speaking unless it was to comment on the warm weather or an exceptionally bad driver.

And once we arrived we parted ways quickly, barely exchanging more than a few words and then it was only to discuss patients. 

"Coffee?" Serena said appearing at my shoulder. I snapped the file in my hands shut and smiled at the patient in front of me saying a few words to a nearby nurse to chase his bloods. 

"Ms Campbell, I am working," I said flashing her a smile. She grinned back and held up her purse "All the more reason to, it's on me and will take 15 minutes tops?" 

"If you're sure they can spare two top surgeon," I laughed taking her arm.

We smiled warmly at each other over the table, each with a coffee pressed warmly between our hands, the smell of our two coffees mixing in the air between us. 

"I enjoyed last night, I haven't slept on the floor in quite a number of years." She put her coffee down to rummage around in her bag. "Neither have I, and being truthful, as nice as it was my body hates me for it today," I laughed. She she produced her mobile from her bag and handed it to me, "I think I have earned your number don't you? I bought you coffee, tomorrow it's your turn," She flirted as I put my number into her phone. "Why wait until tomorrow, I know of this cute little bar round the corner we could go to after work." We smiled at each other and she nodded, "Great, until then Ms Campbell..." I said standing and tapping my coffee cup against hers.