04 | sake

──

──

˗ˏˋ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒 ˎˊ˗

The clink of Hashirama's sake cup hit the wooden countertop for the twelfth time that night. News of Butsuma's passing had hit the Senju Clan hard. Their leader had fallen in battle, alongside his longtime rival Tajima Uchiha, head of the Uchiha Clan. There had been nothing but the sound of the broken cries of the Senju clansmen ever since his death had been announced, instead of its usual lively chatter and celebrations.

The lights had been turned off, and Rin could barely even make out his appearance in the dark. Yet she still noticed the glimmers of tears that ran down his cheeks.

"Yeah... I'm the heir to the Senju Clan — I'm so powerful that I couldn't even save anyone's life," Hashirama slurred. "Did you know that, Rin? That I let my brothers die? Tch."

"Hashirama, I think that's enough," Rin said calmly, placing her hand on the drunken male's back.

He ignored her and instead poured himself another glass of sake. But before he could down the shot, the cup was ripped from his hands, the sake spilling over the edges of the cup slightly and splashing onto the table. The male looked over to meet the gaze of his wife and he squinted his eyes and sent her a glare, hiccuping as he stood himself up to grab another bottle. His attempt was futile however as he stumbled over, grabbing onto the chair and table for support.

"Please, Hashirama," Rin pleaded, placing a hand on his cheek and bending down to his level. "Your people need you now more than ever. They are lost without a leader — they need your leadership. Please be the light to guide them through these dark times."

After a moment of silence, Rin removed her hand and stood up straight. She began walking towards their sleeping quarters, but instead of following, Hashirama simply stared at her back until she turned back around and held a hand out to him, asking, "are you coming?"

The male sluggishly reached out to grab hold of her hand, letting her guide him towards their sleeping quarters. As he laid down in his futon, Rin changed him into his night garments so that he would be more comfortable, before she got him a glass of water and laid down next to him, holding him in her arms.

"Have I ever told you that you mumble in your sleep?" Rin mumbled, threading her fingers through Hashirama's long hair.

The drunken male froze, feeling a bead of sweat roll down his forehead.

"It can be kind of annoying," she remarked teasingly. "But it's mostly cute."

Hashirama's cheeks flushed a bright pink colour, but Rin just thought it was the alcohol.

"You talk about this 'Madara' a lot. Do you have a- well, you know... history together?" Rin asked suggestively, feeling a rosy blush light up her cheeks at the thought of hearing about a possible love story.