Chapter 16: The Beauty of the Sea (Final)

Start from the beginning

On Lucy's request, they'd taken away the Lost Mist, allowing sailors to pass through peacefully and explore more of the seas. Even though that layer of protection was gone, Lucy assured them of the newfound freedom mermaids had. After all, she and her friends from the Fairy Tail had stopped their only enemy.

It'd taken her awhile to convince the council members, but she'd been able to do it in the end.

"Now to my final idea," Lucy replied, her voice loud and confident. "I want the rulers of the clan to belong to the council."

"You've hinted at this recently," one of the older councilmen said. "Why do you request this?"

"I want others to be encouraged to explore the world they live in. We are almost a myth to people outside this small bubble we live in, and there are plenty of opportunities with mingling with others. Trade opportunities are high with humans, for many of our ores we use for weapons could be sold to them. We could catch fish for them, and in return trade for something we need."

"Not only that," Lucy added, her face hard but determined, "but I myself want to go back out into the world soon...and seek my own adventure. With six different individuals in charge of this clan, decisions can have arguments, and greater views on one decision. You all have been a member of the council since I was a child, and I trust all of you with my life." They all couldn't help but smile when Lucy said that. "I full-heartedly believe you can handle this challenge."

After a moment, she pulled out a letter she had in her pouch. Swimming forward slightly, she set it down in front of the council and began again.

"My father wanted this change."

It was true. Once Lucy had returned from her adventure with Fairy Tail, a letter her father had wrote to her was waiting. It was his apology of himself, his hopes for the clan, and his proudness of his daughter. That though he didn't know of the illness killing him was purposely induced, he still knew she'd return and fulfill his wishes. He knew she was a free spirit, and needed to be let go of.

Lucy had returned on the day of her birthday. That was why she'd been given the letter so soon.

"Well," one of the female members replied in the silence of the room, "we clearly can't ignore your father's wishes."

Lucy smiled. "I truly believe that this is a good idea. I will come back once in awhile, of course, but I hope you understand where I and my father are coming from. Yet I don't intend on using my father's words to make you all agree. I want all of you to agree on your own, and look forward to this change. I want this to be mutually understood and agreed upon."

The council members all looked at one another for a moment.

"Shall we vote, then?" the head member asked.

The rest of them nodded, smiling.

It'd been seven months since she'd seen Natsu and the others.

Lucy thought of them the day after the council approved the new system. She wondered what they were doing in this long period of time since she'd seen them. Was Natsu leading them into their next adventure? Did they return to their home guild where the rest of the crew lived, since most of them didn't have anywhere else to go? Did Natsu find a clue about Igneel yet?

I wonder how Happy, Carla, and Lily are doing, too.

A shadow passed over the stars, and Lucy realized it was Plue flying in the sky and enjoying the cool night.