Chapter 20

"Well, you and your husband are just breaking all the rules today, aren't you? No one is supposed to move until that crazy man is caught." The smirk on his face said it all. Alex thinks he is cute with his smart mouth. 

"Ellis Grey's daughter and the head of neuro don't have rules. What do you know about that guy?"

"All I know is that he is that guy who called Derek a murderer. I have no clue why he rampaged through the E.R. He could be after Derek. They've got people at the elevators to guard this floor in an attempt to protect him.."

"Well, that's good... I guess.." What am I supposed to say to that? Derek just operated on his child. He's full of adrenaline. I have no idea what he would do if this guy came after him. I needed the subject to change. "Can you cover my patients for the night so I can stay with him and Taylor?"

"You'll owe me!" He winked. "Hey, I heard Addison and Mark talking. It's a damn big deal that she called you 'Mom!' Congratulations!"

"Don't get too excited. She called me by my name after that. It's probably better that way. My parents didn't exactly prepare me to be a good parent."

He raised his hand to stop me from continuing to talk. "Mer, remember when Addison and Derek were trying to work things out and he was in love with you? You and him were the only two people who didn't realize that. You're missing the big picture here too." He was fighting back a chuckle.

"It's been an insanely long day. I'm not playing games tonight. Just tell me what I'm missing."

"The reason you think you can't be a good mother for her is the exact reason you are the perfect person for the job. You understand her in a way that no one else, not even Derek, can. You know what it feels like to have a parent leave you. Because of that, you would never abandon a child of your own. She can sense that and she's trying to trust you. You two will figure this out together." Now who's being a parent?

"Thank you, Alex. I needed that. Don't tell Derek who the whole hospital is trying to catch. The last thing he needs right now is to remember the patient who he quit over." I headed back to Tay's room ready to relax for a moment. Sarah's lawyer stopped me outside of the door.

"I have the results to the paternity test."

"And you're going to tell me she's Derek's. You can stop harassing him now. Let's just cover everything right now so I don't have to talk to you again. Yes, he's in the room with her. He's her doctor which means he's not leaving. Also, his ex wife and his best friend are here. You might want to talk to them about the woman you are representing. She has no chance in hell of getting any sort of custody. K? Thanks."