Chapter 1

I'm Taylor Shepherd. I'm the 16 year old daughter of a writer and a neurosurgeon, Derek Shepherd. I don't know my mom, she left shortly after I was born and my dad doesn't ever talk about her. I would introduce my dad, but I'm sure you already know who he is. To most people, he's either known for his looks or his talent. To me, he's Daddy. A lot comes with that name for him. He could have just put me up for adoption and followed his career, but he didn't. He promised me the day my mom left that he would never give up on me. He's raised me by himself and because of that, we are extremely close. I could even say he's my best friend.

He's got married a few years ago to Addison Montgomery, but she cheated on him with his best friend, Mark Sloan. She and I didn't connect until late in their marriage, so I still say he's raised me alone.

I love my dad, I couldn't live without him, but being the daughter of a neurosurgeon is not all glitz and glamour! Sometimes it really, really sucks. Like when your dad gets a job in Seattle and you have to leave your friends, your sophomore year, your entire life in New York, and move across the country. I can't even really get used to it here because his hours went from normal to insane when we moved. He is at work all day every day. I get up for school to a note on the fridge, when I get home he's still at work. I'm lucky to get to see him for a couple hours at night.

Things are getting some better now that he is engaged to Meredith Grey. I like Meredith, she's a lot like me. She's distant at first, but when she loves you, she sticks around even when her heart is telling her to run. They've been on again off again since they met, but now we live with Mer and I think they are together for good this time.

The idea of a mom is just hard for me. I've lived 16 years without one and I struggle letting someone else be a parent to me. I finally got comfortable with Addison, then she cheated and she was gone too. I guess I just fear seeing someone as my mother then having her leave. Meredith isn't pushing me though. She didn't jump in and try to be some super-mom. She lets my dad have the biggest say with me. Thank goodness, I don't know that I'll ever see her as mom. Maybe a good friend though.