Chapter Twenty-Two

{Chapter Twenty-Two}

"Jay, you need to wake up, you're going to be late to work." David's vice cuts through my dream about us on a beach. I open my eyes and turn my head to see Dave standing over me.

"Morning," I mumble and sit up. But Before I can do much, I feel bile rise in my throat. I push past Dave into the bathroom, falling to my knees on the cold, hard tile and begin puking. Only, I haven't eaten so it's just a bit of acid, but mostly dry heaves that make my stomach clench in pain.

I feel a hand on my back, rubbing soothing circles over my bare skin. Another hand reaches up to touch my forehead before pulling away quickly.

"Shit, you're burning up," Dave says from behind me. I barely register that though because another dry heave comes, only this time a bit of something comes out with it. My eyes fall to the toilet bowl as my whole body shakes and sweats, but I freeze, as does Dave's hand. Blood is floating with the bile in the toilet.

"We're going to the hospital," I hear Dave state before he stands and helps me up. I glance up at him and my brows crinkle.

"I don't need to go to the hospital, it's probably a bad case of the flu," I whisper, unable to speak louder than that. He stares at me with a hard look replacing the previous worried one.

"You're going to the hospital, Jason, and there's no room for disagreement," he states sternly. I nod obediently, trusting he knows what's best.

"Alright," I get up and head to the bedroom to get dressed after I swish some mouth wash. Dave helps me get dressed and leads me outside to my truck. He climbs into the front seat after helping me climb in because I'm too weak to get in myself.

The drive to ER is tense and quiet. I feel like it's because Dave is so nervous, I tried to reassure him on the drive there that I probably have the flue and this is a waste of time. He doesn't care of course, he won't be calm until they say everything is fine. On the way there I called work and told them I wouldn't make it in so they will have to call or email me with any issues.

By the time we get there I'm feeling a bit better, but I'm still shaky and tired, not to mention weak. David helps me out of the truck and into the ER, where we check in with my symptoms. We have to wait for the next two hours until someone finally calls my name. I get up with David following and I follow the nurse into a small room. I take a seat on the hospital bed and David takes the small armchair.

"So you've been experiencing some vomiting?" The young lady asks, looking over the chart. I nod my response when she glances at me. "And a fever?"

"We aren't actually sure. It just felt like it." I explain, embarrassed that I came to the ER for vomiting.

"Alright, it's probably just a stomach bug but we'll take your vitals and run a few tests to insure nothing is wrong." She explains gently and puts the clipboard down. She glances at David as she grabs the blood pressure cuff. "Are you family?"

"I'm his partner." Dave replies immediately and she nods, thankfully not seeming too surprised, before glancing at me.

"Are you comfortable having him in here?"

"Of course," I say immediately. She begins with the blood pressure check, then shines light in my pupils, and checks my temperature. She looks at the thermometer and charts it on the clipboard holding my information.

"You're blood pressure is slightly elevated, and it looks like you're running a mild fever. A doctor will be in soon to draw some blood for blood work." The nurse explains before leaving the room. David sighs, coming over to sit on the bed with me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and pulling me into his body.