Chapter Eighteen

{Chapter Eighteen}

"Jason, what is wrong with you?" Christian demands, exasperated. I roll my eyes and focus on the never ending stack of paper work in front of me, while Christian continues to file for me.

"Nothing is wrong with me, Christian," I reply absently while I scan a paper for any mistakes or changes that need to be added.

"Clearly something is wrong with you if you agreed to get into that. This is dangerous, why would you do this? You don't even know anything about it." He questions. I understand that he isn't really mad, he's just scared and worried. But his worry is misplaced, I trust David, I know he would never hurt me.

"Because I want him to be happy, I want him to trust me again. I just feel like this is the right decision." I explain honestly. "Even before all this happened I had thoughts about being in the lifestyle with him. What if it's what I need?"

"What, you need to be tied up, bound and beat anytime you do the simplest thing wrong?" He demands and I roll my eyes.

"That isn't how it works,"

"How do you know?" He shoots. I sigh and drop my pen, looking at Christian in irritation.

"Because if that's how it works than why are there so many people in the lifestyle?"

"Stockholm Syndrome," he deadpans. I roll my eyes and focus on the pages in front of me again.

"I know you're worried, but it's misguided. I'm not going to get hurt, if I can't handle this then Dave will back off. And I know you have no reason to but I trust him." I explain. He sighs and slams a drawer shut only to open another one for the next round of filing.

"As long as you know what you're doing. Don't get hurt, if he hurts you I'll murder him," he threatens and I chuckle.

"I wouldn't expect anything less." We're quiet from then on, only talking when it has to do with work, because we're both lost in our own thoughts. I look at the clock with a sigh and can't help but feel relief when I realize it's time to leave.

"Thank god," Christian voices my own thoughts and I laugh.

"I know, today was hell," I muse and he nods in agreement. I clock us both out and gather my things to leave. "I'll see you later, man."

Christian waves at me as we go our different ways, and I wave back. I walk through the dark car lot and slide into my truck, tossing my bag on the passenger's seat. I leave the car port and head to David's new apartment. It's closer to the nicer edge of town, and isn't a place where you get drugs handed to you for free.

I park in the spot designated for his apartment number and get out. I look around to assess the place. There's three apartment complexes, and each complex seems to hold two apartments. I notice each apartment has a balcony and sliding glass door leading out to it on the second floor, while David's particular apartment also has a deck next to the front door. It's pretty empty and clean right now, but I assume he's going to change that and probably use it to house plants.

I open the flimsy screen door and knock on the matching pastel blue door. David opens it a few seconds later with a smile.

"Hey, come on in. Sorry about all the boxes, I obviously still have a lot to unpack." He explains with a shrug. I nod and follow him into the apartment, which is far bigger than his last.

The first floor is a bit small but on this floor alone there appears to be two bedrooms to the left and a small open space where guests could take their shoes and coats off, while a set of stairs leads up to the second floor. After I pull off my boots I follow Dave up the stairs into an open hallway leading to the kitchen, living room, and presumably another bedroom.