Chapter Ten

{Chapter Ten}

"Dude, I need your help," I inform Christian and he looks away from the fluffy Ozzy to look at me.

"With what?" He demands cautiously.

"With David, I want to make him a mix tape." Christian looks at me with a weird look before laughing. I tilt a brow at this. "What?"

"No one makes mix tapes anymore, Jason." My brows furrow at this in confusion.

"Why not?"

"Because they're outdated, and the internet was created so now we just send Spotify playlists."

"What's Spotify?" I ask in confusion. Christian appears to question whether or not I'm joking or being serious. When he seems to realize I'm serious he rolls his pale green eyes and proceeds to show and explain to me that Spotify is a music app, like YouTube, only specifically for music.

"Okay, so now I need to make him a playlist. Which I need your help with. What should I put in it?" I ask as I scan the artists. There's so many; the Beatles, Metallica, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Reliant K, and the list continues as I scroll down.

Christian sighs heavily and returns his attention to Ozzy since I now know how to navigate Spotify.

"What music does he like? Just add some artists you know he likes. Or add artists you think he'll like. Honestly you can't go wrong." He replies, sounding a bit exasperated. I nod at this and begin adding the songs and artists slowly, all the while hoping David will like it. "Hey man?"

I look away from my phone to Christian who is once again focusing his full attention on me, the little kitten seemingly forgotten. At the lack of attention Ozzy leaves Christian's lap and snuggles against my leg.

"What's up?" I prompt curiously as I softly pet Ozzy. He clears his throat and drops his eyes to his lap, but since the kitten has left he has nothing to distract himself with so instead he picks at his jeans.

"Why are you putting so much effort into this? You have put so much time into making this guy happy, a lot of thought too, but why? I know you. You don't settle down. You really don't believe in monogamy. So what's so special about him?" Taken aback, I just stare at him in surprise, speechless.

He continues to avoid my eyes but I can tell he knows I'm watching him from the tense set of his shoulders and his continued picking of a loose thread on his jeans.

"Are you jealous?" I demand curiously. I doubt he is, why would he be jealous? But why else would he seem so upset over this?

I put my phone down to focus solely on Christian who is still avoiding my probing eyes. The loose thread is long gone but he continues to just look at his jeans in intense concentration.

"Don't be ridiculous, I'm not jealous." Rather than reply I continue to watch him skeptically, because when we first met there was a short time that we tried dating.

It didn't work, and I know exactly why; Christian was just trying to find some normal guy to fall in love with. He was the one to cut it all off though, accusing me of not putting in enough effort and not wanting the relationship.

He's right of course, I never did want a relationship, I was hoping to get in bed with him and throw him out like everyone else. That's just how I work. I didn't need a relationship, never saw the point in them when I could have sex with anyone I wanted. I was never one to want that romantic connection. It's not like I repelled it, I just never found anyone who kept interest in me longer than a day or two.

David is different though, clearly because I would never put this much effort into someone I didn't see a future with, someone I can't get out of my mind. I know this can all work out if I try, and I want it to work out, I'm praying it will all work out because something about that man draws me in.