2.6.5 | For Our Sisters

Start from the beginning

He runs his fingers through his hair in frustration before locking eyes again, "Look, don't you think I know that already? But it's too late to change things, alright? I can't take it back no matter how badly I wish I could. Do you think I get a thrill out of hurting her? Do you think it makes no difference to me seeing this... hatred in her eyes for me?"

For a second, his strong reaction takes us both aback. I hadn't known he'd started to feel something for Khushi. My impression had been that they were friends but I was aware of his definition of friendship and this... what I see in his eyes and his words is beyond that.

Now, I really do not understand his actions.

While my brain is still attempting to grasp this, Riddhima asked calmly. "Then why did you do it?" as if she had seen this happening all along - and she could have. Unlike me, she did spend the past months with them.

He replied as if it was that easy, "To save her." When neither of us said anything, a short silence fell over. What does that mean? He added - as if he was now speaking to himself more than us, "It's what I've always tried to do... and failed. Always."

Riddhima said, "Arnav..." but didn't have anything to actually offer except sympathize.

There was still something amiss, "You saved dad's business to save her from marrying anyone else. But by making her marry you as part of the deal, you weren't any better. Why would you do that?" When he didn't answer, I got my confirmation. "You're still hiding something. What?"

He answered but it sounded monotone. As if he had practiced it enough times to even believe it somewhere. "My investment would have saved her temporarily, but she would be expected to eventually marry."

I took a second to decide before letting my opinion know, "I don't believe that."

"Your choice, but it's the answer you are getting."

I clenched my jaw in frustration. I have known guys to be cryptic and all. Secretive. But what is with this person? He has one layer over another and he refuses to shed any one them. He refuses to allow anyone close enough to get to know the real him.

Riddhima pleads, "Arnav, we want to believe you had her best interests at heart but we can't do that if you don't tell us. You realize how this looks, right?"

"I realize I'm the bad guy in her story right now, Riddhima, but we both know there are far worse people out there. The only difference between us is that I chose to accept her hatred than not do what is necessary just out of respect for her wishes. Even if I have my regrets right now for the pain I caused her, I'd do it a million times if I needed to for her sake."

For her sake? Even when he says he has regrets, his word speak otherwise. A person with regret wouldn't stand in front of those who he has wrong and proclaim to do the same thing again. They would say how they'd do things differently.

I stood up in a swift move and gritted, "You've got some nerve."

He didn't back down, however. "Yes, Armaan. I do. I would rather hurt her myself than let someone far more twisted get anywhere near her again. Because you see, you may have promised her to not tell your parents anything but I made no such promise. I agree I disrespected her wish, but the promise I made was to not let anyone hurt her again. To never allow anyone, even if that person is her own father, forcing her into anything she didn't want. To always be there for her - even if that means acting as a buffer for her hatred."

Once again, I was speechless. How can anyone be this ready to accept any consequence thrown at him? Was he really a man of his words? Despite thousands of other similar question running through my brain, I had to accept that there was some truth to his words. Arnav was never binded in a promise to not tell our parents the way Riddhima and I were. Khushi may have told him she didn't want them to know but if he is saying that he hadn't made any promises, then he must not have.