Amelia came over, "Nice dancing Laura."

I grinned at her, "Thanks!"

Amelia turned to Ace, "Looks like the dancing is starting. Roy isn't here yet, feel like a dance in the meantime?"

Ace glanced to the side, "Sorry, but Todd is waving me over." He turned and headed towards the cliff where the offices were. I tilted my head, but didn't see Todd anywhere.

Amelia danced with me until her husband came and whisked her off for a dance. Amelia loved dancing. Diane returned with some water bottles and I went to go sit on a bench with her. The informal band started playing Help by the Beatles.

I sang along to the song. I knew this from my little music player that broke back in my old house. Diane had memorized this song back when we first traveled with Dave's group and sang along.

"Help me if you can, I'm feeling down; And I do appreciate you being 'round; Help me get my feet back on the ground; Won't you please, please help me..."

Diane stopping singing, "Hey Laura, did you see where Ace went? I brought him a water bottle, but I don't see him."

I shrugged, "Amelia came over and asked if he wanted to dance. He said something about seeing Todd beckoning him over. I haven't seen him since."

Diane chuckled and shook her head, she obviously didn't believe Ace's excuse. I didn't believe it either. He always disappeared if someone wanted to dance with him or even if they merely hinted about seeing him dance. It confused me. I knew that kissing boys could give you cooties, but there was no problem with dancing or playing with them.

I looked at Diane, "Why did Ace disappear? Amelia is married, so it was just a friendly dance. Roy doesn't care if anyone else dances with her. He even leaves if people want to see him dance."

Diane tilted her head in consideration, "Remember how shy of crowds you were when we were back in Wainwright, even though nothing bad ever happened?"

I nodded and she continued, "Some men and women also get shy like that around others if it goes past regular conversation. Ace doesn't want to dance any more than you wanted to go somewhere alone."

I gave her a confused look, this sounded like it had to do more with flirting than dancing. Besides, she was missing one crucial point, "Ace danced with me the one time. He even twirled me around."

Diane chuckled with a twinkle in her eye, "You are still a kid and he knows you quite well. You get special privileges, but don't let him figure that out."

I grinned as I caught on. I was the only person to ever dance with Ace. I giggled at my newfound secret. I could only imagine Ace's reaction the day he realized it...

     I picked another zucchini and put it in the wheelbarrow. The field was full of ripening zucchinis. I didn't see any end of the oblong vegetables. Diane had an armful that she put in the wheelbarrow. Two dozen others were also picking various types of zucchinis and squash.

Our wheelbarrow was full. Diane grabbed it to take it back to the big wagon we were slowly filling. I grabbed an armful of smaller zucchinis and followed her. Most of the others were just starting to take a break and we joined them.

I peeled a stick and put the smallest zucchini on it to roast. I wasn't sure how well it would work, but we had more than enough around to experiment with. I looked at the huge field full of thriving plants and commented to Diane, "I can't believe how many there are."

Diane chuckled, "They are more closely related to weeds than most people will admit. My Grandma once told me, 'If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. If you teach him how to garden, the whole neighborhood gets zucchini'. It is a good thing they store so well, we will probably be seeing this stuff at every meal most of the winter."