Chapter 91

I made my eyes big and pleading, "Please...."

Todd shook his head, "Nope. Not happening."

"Aww.... Come on. It gave you so much energy last time! We had a great time!"

"Nope. I am never touching that evil brew again."

I tilted my head mischievously, "I dare you to drink a cup. Just a cup."

He shook his head again, "I have grown wiser since that last rash move."

"Can we still play tag then?"

"Once my legs no longer feel like wet noodles. Which is likely not going to be today or tomorrow."

Considering he walked like an old man, he had a valid point. If he could barely walk, he wouldn't be able to run.

"Once we break camp and are moving, can we sit on top of the trailers and play boardgames?"

Todd took a big drink of dandelion coffee, "That can be arranged, if you have boardgames."

I grinned, "Yes, I have three different ones."

He yawned and tried to wake up. It had been two days since Todd played tag with me and he was still recovering. He took it in good humor though and was fun to torment when I took a break from gathering greens or helping Diane flush animals out of the grass.

Other than Diane, Todd was the first adult that I had ever felt halfway relaxed around. Perhaps because he never acted like an adult. I would miss him when we got to the settlement and they eventually left. We had been on the road three days and Roland figured we would arrive in four more days.

I spun my stick around as I tried to mimic Diane's glaive with my makeshift staff. She often went through fighting exercises for speed and coordination by herself at night after I had gone to bed. Sometimes she let me try to join her. She would occasionally correct my form and movements.

I had no interest in fighting, but building up my strength and speed did interest me. Besides, it was always fun to do something with Diane. Before long, we were both breathing hard and decided to go for a run before heading back to the camp.

I ran through the trees with ease. My eyes glowed almost as brightly as Diane's now, and I could see everything so clearly. I still couldn't control the glow though. It wasn't for the lack of trying either. Diane seemed to think it was because I was so young. I could sense the heat, but was unable to actually control it. Hopefully, I would be able to control it soon.

I was both nervous and excited about tomorrow. We should reach Mountain Fort tomorrow around noon if the sun shone on the solar panels. Midafternoon, if it was cloudy. We approached the gate and let ourselves in.

One or two were still up, although they were heading to bed. One middle aged lady glanced over at us and nodded a good night before she went to bed. She was actually a nurse and had been quite intrigued by our eyes.

I quickly climbed up the tree to my hammock. Diane was already scaling the tree beside mine to get to her hammock. She was a fast climber.

My mind wandered back to the place we were heading to. I wondered if the people would accept us tomorrow. Roland and others said that the man was very fair and none of them could see him turning us away just because of our eyes. The nurse, Kerry, had told me that there were at least a dozen kids my age there and a good sized playground.

I fell asleep wondering what life in that settlement would be like.