Chapter 122

I looked in the mirror and was fervently glad that I had Diane as my actual guardian instead of Sandy. Sandy turned out to be the type of lady who loved to dress up anyone she could get her hands on. She had spent over an hour putting my hair up in several elaborate braids. She had also brought her makeup with her, and at this point, I didn't even recognize my own reflection.

I did look very nice, but it just wasn't me. I still smiled at Sandy, "Thank you."

Diane passed me a winter hat, "Here, it might keep anyone from recognizing you if they catch a glimpse of you."

Diane's original plan had been to put up my hair in a bun and hide it under a winter hat. If I had grey or brown winter clothing, I could easily be mistaken for a boy. No chance of that now with the amount of makeup that was on my face.

Diane had spoken with Dave and both had agreed that out of sight was out of mind when it came to me. It shouldn't surprise them too much to see Diane with a trader group, besides, they knew she was out there somewhere. It was just me that was the big mystery.

The trucks had barely come to a stop when the people on this trailer raised the thick canvas walls that formed a boxlike tent. I remained inside as everyone else went out to pull out the supplies that this place had requested.

I listened to the conversations outside. The locals were a bit surprised to be greeted by Dave, but their confusion eased when he explained that the trading group had grown so big that we had split into three parts. They started discussing trading possibilities while we got everything set up.

It sounded like we could be here longer than planned since Toga Place had done a thorough inventory of supplies and realized that they were very short to make it through the winter. Mice had gotten into some stored grain and their crops had not done well this year at all due to some sort of insect pest.

I was curious about what Diane was doing, but there was no way for me to peek out of this tent. It had simply been built too well. I wasn't worried about her though, since I knew that Ace wouldn't let her out of his sight in case they were still scared that she was infected. Although, after this much time, the answer should be obvious.

I heard the old leader's voice, "Diane! Good to see you in good health. Joined the traders, did you?" I tilted my head, he seemed honestly happy to see her. I faintly recalled that the leader had been one of the few who had been somewhat regretful to see her leave last time.

Diane responded and I could tell from her voice that she was very close to where Phil was. "Yes, and I am having a great time with them. How are things going here?" Her voice was warm, so Phil's greeting must have been genuine.

"Going well enough. The harvest wasn't quite what we had hoped for, some sort of pest got into the wheat and caused the heads to fall off. Probably the wheat sawfly, but we have no pesticides to protect the plants. I don't suppose you have grain to trade by chance?"

Diane chuckled as she sidestepped that question, "You might want to check with Dave on that one. I am not entirely sure what all we have in those trailers at this point."

"Thanks. Uh, Diane?" His voice was now tentative.

"Yes?"

He sounded somewhat uncomfortable asking the question, "Ah, have you, uh, seen Laura around?"

Silence followed and many small conversations from the traders below stopped as they focused on Phil and Diane. Phil quickly clarified, "The day you left we couldn't find her. We searched high and low. We are pretty sure she followed you. I am just asking to ensure that she did find you. We have no desire to try to bring her here. We just want to make sure she is alright."