Chapter 18 - The Shanghai Confrontation

Mia woke up the next morning with a slight headache. What a night! She had so much fun until...wait a minute. She sat up quickly on her bed and noticed she was still fully dressed in her clothes from the night before.

She turned around and saw that Victoria was already in the bathroom getting ready. The last thing she remembered was getting in a taxi with Leo. She was mad at him for punching Charles, but then what happened? Had she fallen asleep? From the looks of it, that had been the case.

Victoria came out of the bathroom at that moment.

"Vicky, what the hell happened last night?"

"I was just going to ask you the same thing. All I know is that one second we were dancing at the club having the time of our lives, and next thing I know Leo punched Charles in the face and dragged you out of the club. When I got home, you were sound asleep in your bed."

"Yeah, that's what I remember too. At least the first part. I really don't understand what his deal is. Anyway, I need to get ready. I don't have the energy to handle the extra drama." Mia sprinted to the bathroom to take a quick shower and change.

They were about to go down to breakfast when they heard a knock at the door. Mia opened it to see Leo standing outside, his hands shoved in his pockets.

"What are you doing here?" she said in mad tone.

"I told you last night. We need to talk," Leo responded.

Victoria showed up behind Mia. "I'm going to head down to breakfast. I'll see you later Mia, okay?"

Before she could protest, Victoria left and Leo walked into the room, closing the door behind him. She took a deep breath realizing they were now alone in her hotel room - just the two of them.

"Leo, I don't want to talk," Mia said bitterly. She turned around and walked back into the room, pretending to fix something from her suitcase.

"Too bad. I have something I need to say to you." Leo followed her and grabbed her hand, forcing her to face him.

His sudden closeness made her feel nervous. She dropped his hand in resignation and went to sit on her bed.

"Before you say anything, you have some explaining to do about last night. I mean what the hell were you thinking?" she hissed. Tapping into her anger was the only way she could hide her true emotions.

"Look, I just wanted to have a word with the guy and very politely explain..." Leo began.

"A word? Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what you intended. Did you also want to offer the lad some tea and crumpets afterward and have a nice laugh?" she asked with all the sarcasm in the world.

"Mia, can you please not joke around? I'm trying to be serious here."

"Well then what is it?" The volume in her voice had risen exponentially.

"I was trying to protect you. That bastard was taking advantage of you and I wasn't just going to stand there and allow it."

"Take advantage of me? You're one to talk. You did the same exact thing, Leo. And for your information I can take care of myself," Mia huffed.

"No, it's different," Leo said calmly.

"How is it possibly any different?" Mia snapped back.

Leo hesitated to answer.

"Tell me, Leo. How is it any different for you or the next guy to approach me at a club? Because I'd really like to know."

Taking a deep breath, Leo steadied himself and sat down next to her on the bed. "Because of my...intentions. I care about you. No one will ever feel the same way for you as I do. Charles might have been wanting to get lucky, but I..." he paused for a moment to look at her and cup her face.