Chapter 12 - Reality Bites

"Are you okay, Mia? You seem a tad jumpy," Leo said as they drove to school the following Monday morning.

He had insisted he pick her up today, and well, every other day of the week for that matter. It was an offer she simply couldn't resist.

Mia looked down and noticed she had been tapping her leg repeatedly against the floor seat. She immediately stopped and looked over at Leo.

"I don't know, I'm kind of nervous. It's just...a lot happened this weekend and I'm sure people are gonna give me strange looks or ask questions that I don't want to answer. Normally I wouldn't care, but people love to gossip around here," Mia explained.

"Just ignore them, Mia. That's what I do. You don't have to say anything if you don't want to."

"What if they ask me directly though? I don't even know what to say. I mean, what's the story?"

"Don't worry about it," Leo said simply.

"But I do worry. What if they ask..."

"No, that's what you tell them. 'Don't worry about it'. It's none of their business."

"That works?" Mia asked skeptically.

"Like a charm. It's a polite way of saying shut the hell up, and people usually do."

"Do you want to try it out?" Leo asked.

"Um, sure."

"Okay...Let's see," he said pausing to think. "Hey Mia, so you and Leo huh? Oh my god, he's so hot," Leo said imitating a California valley girl.

Mia burst out laughing.

"C'mon Mia, get in character. This is serious business right now," he said playfully.

"So Mia, are you guys like an item now? Are you getting married and having lots of babies?" he said raising an eyebrow.

Mia took a few seconds to compose herself, before answering that question. "Don't worry about it."

"What happened with Johan? I heard he was a total douchebag and Leo defended your honor," he said with a slight smirk.

"Don't worry about it," Mia answered more confidently. That was an easy one for her.

"Good, much better," he said satisfied.

Mia thought she was off the hook, so his next question took her by surprise.

"Where did you learn to dance like that? I mean you guys were practically having sex on the dance floor," he said accusingly.

"Leo! No we weren't," she protested.

"That's not the right answer."

Mia crossed her arms. "Don't worry about it," she said between her teeth. "You think people really think that?" she added, her voice full of concern.

"Quite possibly. We kind of were," he said grinning.

Mia gasped. "It's not my fault people don't know how to move their damn hips around here. People dance like that in New York all the time and it's completely normal."

"So you normally dance like that?" Leo asked.

"No, of course not. I guess I just got a bit carried away with you," Mia said shyly.

Leo lifted up a hand. "Hey, I'm not complaining. Just bringing up things people might ask so you're prepared," he explained as he pulled into the parking lot near school.

He parked the car effortlessly and looked over at Mia. "I can't wait to dance with you again," he said touching her cheek.

Mia felt her cheeks flush. "Oh my god, this is so embarrassing, Leo. I feel like I'm in high school all over again."