Chapter 23 - Revelations

Mia was sitting down next to Leo on the plane ride back to Helsinki, her head resting on his shoulder and their arms intertwined. Her body ached but she was content at the proof it provided from their wonderful night together. She felt a sense of tranquility within her, a certain calmness she hadn't felt in a long time. But something in the back of her mind kept nagging at her, something that was preventing her from truly enjoying the moment. She thought back to her memories of the previous night.

Being with Leo had been out of this world. Before him, she had given up hope of ever experiencing the mind-shattering joy of being touched again. She didn't know the level of intimacy they had shared was possible, that something like that could even exist. Even though she had been in long-term relationships before, the connection she felt with him was much stronger than anything she had ever previously felt.

He had spent the night making love to her, holding her, cherishing every single moment. In between, they had spoken about everything and about nothing. Leo made her feel like she was the only woman in the world and by the end of the night she still expected to wake up alone from a lucid dream.

She didn't want it to end, but she had eventually fallen asleep in his arms. He woke her up not even an hour later to go to the airport. He swept her into the shower and had almost convinced her to stay longer in Shanghai. He had said he would figure out a way to change their tickets. She wanted to agree to his promising kisses, but the rational part of her told her she needed to go back to Madrid and leave the trip on a high note.

So they headed back, but he had barely left her side. The only time they separated was when she had gone back to her room to finish packing her belongings. But he quickly met up with her afterwards in the lobby, handing her a breakfast box he had obtained from the morning buffet.

Even on the plane they weren't seated together, but he had managed to somehow switch their seats and ended up in a private row next to the window. How he did these things, she could never explain.

"Sweetness, you should sleep," Leo said as he ran his fingers under her tired eyes.

"I can't. I have too much going through my mind right now. Planes always seem to get my brain racing into over drive," she responded.

Leo smiled. "I get very reflective, too. Do you want to talk about it?"

"It's nothing in particular. I just can't stop thinking about last night," she admitted shyly. An image of Leo pressing deeply into her while biting her shoulder flashed through her mind and she blushed.

Leo smiled and kissed her hand. "I suppose that's a good thing then. I can't stop thinking about it either," he said happily.

"I wish we could've spent more time together during the trip. It seems like such a waste now."

"We'll be back someday. That I can promise you," Leo said.

"We didn't get to go to Bar Rouge together," she pointed out.

"Next time, baby girl."

Mia liked the way he spoke about a future together, but she didn't know how that would ever be possible. Especially when there was something he still didn't know about her. Something that he should know. She could feel it surfacing from within, spilling out of her.

She leaned over and gave him a long kiss, fearing it could be their last. He might not even look at her the same afterwards.

He kissed her back eagerly. "I love you so much, Mia. You'll never know how much," he whispered into her ear.

"I love you too, Leo," she said almost sadly.

"I felt it since the very first day. I wanted to tell you all the time. I actually let it slip once, but I don't think you heard me," he confessed.