Chapter 13 - "Studying"

Start from the beginning

"Yeah. I remember you looked so adorable trying to study. I wanted to offer to help you but I chickened out."

"Really? I thought I had made a fool of myself with my scintillating Facebook conversation."

"Come with me," Leo said all of a sudden, pulling on her hand.

"Where are we going?"

"To relax."

"What about the case study?"

"Later," he said pulling her towards the couch. "You need this right now."

He sat down on the couch and the image of him sitting down in it seemed almost comical, as if he were out of place.

He pulled her head down to rest on his lap.

"Leo, this is ridiculous. I don't have time for this right now."

"Yes, you do."

She opened her mouth to argue when Leo started playing with her hair. She immediately closed it and relaxed into him.

"See? Is this so bad?"

Mia sighed. "I suppose a few minutes can't hurt."

Leo chuckled and soon began inspecting her apartment, as if he were suddenly aware of it. For some reason, she began to feel self-conscious at the act.

"Your place is great, Mia," Leo said eventually. "I really like it."

"I guess I lucked out. I've heard a lot of horror stories of people not even having windows in their apartments. I don't know how they do it, having natural light is essential to me."

"That must be so depressing. Well, you got a very nice view of the courtyard."

"Yeah, I enjoy looking out at it. It lights up pretty nicely during the nighttime too."

He started playing with some evil eye adornments she had lying on the arm rests of the couch.

"Where did you get these?" he asked.

"In Turkey. I went a few years ago with my family."

"And the white elephants?"

"India. They're supposed to be good luck. That's why I like hanging them in the doorway."

"Is there anywhere you haven't been?"

"Of course. Lots of places."

"So where are you missing that you would like to go?"

"Hmmm. That's a good question. Probably Cambodia or South Africa. Definitely something remote and non-touristy."

"Maybe we could plan a trip together sometime soon. Just the two of us."

"Just tell me when and where and I'm there." Mia said smiling.

Leo chuckled and continued stroking her hair in a slow rhythm. Mia couldn't remember the last time she felt this relaxed. She was about to tell Leo when the sound of her own slow breathing lulled her to sleep.

*******

Mia didn't wake up until the sun was almost setting. Normally, this would have caused her to wake up in a panic but Leo's sleeping body wrapped around her soothed her completely. His legs entangled with hers and his arms were wrapped tightly around her waist. Her head was pressed between his chest and the nook of his neck.

It was the first time she had ever woken up like this. She had fallen asleep with previous boyfriends but they always seemed to end up on opposite sides when they woke.