Chapter Forty-one

Start from the beginning

"Yeah." He chuckles. "You're not the first person who told me that."

"What are you saying? Could you please stop this? What's wrong with you?" I say trying to sound tough but deep inside, I'm wavering. I'm scared that if he continues talking, I might give in.

"I don't know." He shrugs. "Call me crazy but I literally feel like I would go insane if I could not see you. I want to go closer to you, to talk to you, to touch you, but I could not do it because I was the one who pushed you away from me. I could not help it but just be contented on looking at you from afar."

"Stop this!" I stand up to put a distance between us. I face him with a firm look. "Don't joke around like that. I don't want to be fooled by you again. I don't want to misunderstand your kindness again and slap it on my face when things get fucked up. I've experienced it once and I don't have any plans on experiencing it again." A bitter taste fills my mouth. I walk away from him. I want to be as far away from him as possible and to not see his face ever again. "I should have go back home! I should have not gone here on the first place! This is a tremendous mistake!"

"Wait." He grabs my hand and pulls me to face him.

"What?" I exclaim.

"I'm sorry." He says apologetically.

"Shut up!" I pull my hand away from him but he's gripping it firmly, that it's starting to hurt. "Let go of me!"

"No. You listen to me!" He grabs my other hand making it impossible for me to escape. "I know you're mad at me because of what I've done. I was a jerk. I let you cry. I hurt you. You were bashed because of me. You've been through a lot because of me and I was not there to help you. I know it's already too late but I want to apologize. I'm sorry, Melissa for everything that I've done wrong to you. Could you forgive me? I know it's not easy but I would ask for your forgiveness every day."

I slowly raise my head to look at him. The tone of his voice and the look in his eyes are pure sadness and sincerity. They give me goosebumps. Every words he's saying is stabbing my heart like millions of knives. I am stun, standing stiffly while looking at him. Before I realize it, warm tears come pouring down my cheeks.

"Hey? P-please don't cry." He immediately releases my hands and cups my face with both his hands and wipes away the tears. "Shhhhh. Please don't cry."

"You're an asshole." I mutter in shaking voice. "Do you have any idea how hard I was for me to get over the things that you have done to me? And now, you are asking me for forgiveness? You have no right to be forgiven! Not in a million years!" Slap his hands away from my face. "Don't touch me!" I snap. I turn and walk away from him. Alexander grabs my hand and pulls me again.

"We're not done talking."

"Yes we are!" I shout. "I don't understand you at all. You told me to get away from you and now, you won't let me go! I have accomplished a lot of things without you Alexander. I'm doing fine without you. Please don't make things harder for me. Let me -"

"I love you."

Suddenly, the world stops. The wind stop blowing, my heart stop beating, everything stops moving, or so I thought. Alexander's words rings continually in my head. I stop resisting. I lost the will to fight. Those words are my weakness. Those words drain every bit of energy out of my body.

"I love you." He repeats. "I'm truly, madly, crazily in love with you, Melissa."

"What's your problem?" I whisper bitterly. "Is this a joke? Please I'm begging you stop this." I plead, begging my heart out.

"I was confused. I thought I cared for you because you look like my sister. I thought what I have for you was purely brotherly love. I got close to you and helped you as much as possible because you reminded me of Edith. I thought that if I could help you, it would also mean like I'm helping Edith as well – I thought you were my sister.

"Then the thing that happened at the cliff made me realize my real feelings for you. It made me scared to feel something I thought I was not allowed to feel for you. I was scared to admit the fact that I love you not because I thought of you as my sister but because you are an amazingly beautiful woman. I was confuse so I stayed away from you and pushed you away from me.

"I hurt you and I made you cry because I was a coward. Now, everything is clear to me. Edith is my sister and you, Melissa is the woman I am in love with. You may share the same appearance but you are completely different individuals. I was blinded by my conscience about what happened to Edith that I failed to acknowledge my real feelings for you.

"Every time I see you with that man, I just want to explode and punch myself. I am the dumbest person for letting someone like you to get away. I love you, Melissa and I'll make sure to get you get you back."

Alexander pulls me closer and hugs me. I'm in his arms once again. I fail to say a word and just cry. My heart aches and my tears just keep on falling.

"I hate you." I say between sobs. "I hate you." I repeatedly say punching his chest. We stay like that for a while seizing the moment with me in his arms. "Why are you even saying these? I already have a boyfriend." I whisper bitterly.

"Yeah. I know." He says in a voice full of pain.