Chapter Thirty-seven

I remain standing while staring at the portrait looking directly at the girl's eyes.

Alexander clears his throat, not bothering to come closer to me. "That's Edith, my younger sister." He says with an obvious sadness. He says it quietly like that of a whisper but I could still hear him clearly. His melancholic voice gives chills down my spine.

"Yeah, as I figured out." I nod.

"My mom was a volunteer doctor that time. I don't know what really happened since I was only three years old when she brought a baby girl home, but ever since then our lives changed." He utters. "Dad told me that the Edith was a weak baby girl mom found at the orphanage where she had a mission. He told me that Edith was fragile and it would be best if they would take her. So they did."

Without realizing it, I turn to look at him. My eyes are big as I cover my mouth with my hand.

He's standing right next to me, staring at the picture. "They adopted Edith and it was one of the best things that have ever happened to me." He looks at me and smiles and looks back at the picture again. "We never ever let her feel that she was adopted though she knew the truth."

Then there is silence.

I want to ask a million of questions but I can't find the right words to say. I am just looking at him, unable to properly think of anything.

"We were supposed to be three siblings. Edith had a twin sister." My heart pounds harder that it hurts. My eyes even get bigger. I want to cover my ears but my body won't respond to what I want to do. "They were not able to get her because she was already adopted."

Please stop! I utter in a silent prayer.

He looks at me. He stares deep into my eyes like as if he's waiting for me to react. "For a long time, I always wondered how was she doing, or was her family treating her well. Edith and I used to wonder about her. Then one day, I found you and all of my questions were answered."

I exhale. I am out of breath. I have not realized it but I was holding my breath the whole time. A storm of emotions fills my heart. I don't know what to feel. I don't know how to react. What am I supposed to do when the person I used to love said tells me that I have a twin, who happened to be his sister and worst of all, I am adopted!

That's too much

I don't know how to take it.

"Okay." I whisper. I remain stun, unable to show a proper emotion. "Okay." I repeat and nod. I continue staring at his eyes - his beautiful grey eyes, which were once a mystery to me. He looks at me with full of worries and sorry. I take a deep breath. "Okay." I repeat once more.

"I'm sorry. I know I am not in the position to tell you all of this but –"

"It's okay." I cut him. "I get it. I get it." I tell him but it sounds more like I am telling it to myself. Yeah. I'm adopted. I get it. I had a twin sister. I get it. I brush my hair with my fingers. "Can I charge my phone?"

It is the weirdest thing to say, I know, but I've always been weird. I can't think straight. I have a hangover, I'm physically exhausted and now, I'm emotionally drained. I'm practically not in the condition to determine what's weird and what's not.

Alexander looks shock for a moment, and he answers, "Y-yeah sure. Let's go to the kitchen. Breakfast is ready. You can eat while waiting for your phone to charge up."

"Sure." I exhale.

He turns his back and moves forward. I follow him silently until we reach the kitchen. If not for my current situation, I would have appreciated the beautiful room. The roof-to-floor glass windows facing the pool and the garden, is gorgeous. I'm too occupied right now that I don't have any sense of appreciation.