Chapter Forty

"This is troublesome!" I exclaim as we enter the room. "I don't want to sleep in the same room as you."

We're in a small hotel – the only accommodation facility in this place. Despite my objections and rant at the reception area, we only managed to book a single room with a single bed. The front office personnel said that they are fully booked as of the moment and can only give us this room. No matter how much I argue, I can't do anything about it. It's either we will sleep here or in Alexander's car. Well, I obviously chose the first.

"You're so honest. It hurts." He said while smiling playfully as he put the bags of clothes and other stuff we bought on the table. "This is all we could do for now, so please bear with it."

"I suggest you should sleep outside – in your car."

"I never knew you are so heartless, Melissa." He tries to make a pained face but failed to do so as he breaks into laughter. "Don't joke like that. I might think that you're serious."

"I'm serious." I say dryly raising an eyebrow. I sit on the bed as I stare at him.

His smile fades. "You're scary." He walks towards the door. "I'm going somewhere. I suggest that you take a bath. That might cool you down and stop snapping at me." He says without looking at me. He raises his left hand and waives at me, then he leaves.

Asshole!

I take a very deep breath as I try to calm myself down. Everything that's happening is just really crazy and it's frustrating the hell out of me. I can't understand myself. I have moved on. I have gotten over him. I even hate him. But, why... why can't I control my heart on feeling like crazy when I'm with him? Why do I feel this crazy tingling sensation every time he is around me?

"I hate this!" I blurt. I stand up and get some clothes, towels and toiletries. I convince myself that I am just exhausted that's why I have these weird things on my mind. All I need is a long bath to clear up my thoughts.

When I get out of the bathroom, Alexander is sitting comfortably on the sofa while watching a show on the television.

"You definitely took your time." He says with a wide smile. "How do you feel now?"

"Better." I reply honestly.

"That's great. Oh by the way, your phone's been ringing constantly."

I look around and find it on the bed. I grab it to see that Zac is calling. Sudden rush of guilt and nervousness flow all over my body as I look at his name on the screen. I take a deep breath before answering his call. Why am I feeling guilty or nervous if I haven't done anything wrong?

"Hey babe." I answer trying to sound as lively as I could. Alexander glances at me meaningfully.

"Melissa!" He exclaims worriedly. "Where are you? Why aren't you answering all these time? I went to Erika and also to Toni's place but you were not there. Where the fuck are you?!"

My mouth hangs open as I think of what to answer. I told them that I would spend the night at Erika's place but I got busted. "Babe, look..." Alexander's eyes are fixed on me. He's waiting to what I'm going to say. He lowers the volume of the television as he sit on the couch intensely looking at me. "I'm in a place quite far away from there, but you don't need to worry about anything. I'm fine. I'm safe –"

"Name a place! Why can't you name a place?!" anger is undeniably present in his voice. "What the fuck, Melissa!"

"Zac, babe, listen." I say trying to calm him down. "If I tell you the place, you would definitely come after me and I don't want that, okay? I promise to explain to you everything once I'm back. I'm just doing something important."