Chapter Thirty-seven

Depuis le début

I sit on the bar stools without him telling me.

"Your phone?" He asks as he lifts his open hand.

"Ah. Yeah." I reach for it in my pocket and give it to him. "I don't have the charger."

"Don't worry, you'll use mine." He says with a smile.

He walks around the counters and opens a drawer. From there, he pulls out a charger. He walks to the side and plugs the charger to an outlet.

"I'm sorry, I haven't prepared anything fancy. The only maid we have here is in a day-off and mom and dad are on a business trip." He explains as he places one plate in front of me. "Bacon, eggs, and rice – how does that sound?" He says enthusiastically.

The plate is packed with bacons, eggs, and rice. It is a simple dish with a simple presentation and it makes my mouth water.

"I haven't eaten these for like four months already." I say taking a spoonful.

"Really?" He says, surprise. He sits next to me and starts eating as well.

I nod. "Since I started preparing for Miss University, I was in a highly strict diet. We're talking about no sweets, no salty foods, and no fatty foods here. I was really hard.

"That explains how you got that body now."

"Yeah." I chuckle.

My blood come rushing to my face as I realized how revealing I am wearing – short shorts and a crop top. I try to make myself smaller as embarrassment hit me big time. The thought that Alexander is checking me out made me feel embarrass.

"Don't get me wrong. You're change was so big that it's so hard not to noticed it." He explains scratching his head.

We continue eating in awkward silence. Being alone with Alexander is already awkward plus the big revelation about my identity multiplies the awkwardness tenfold.

"So, are you still on a diet?"

"Yeah, but yesterday and today are my cheat days." I answer without even looking at him.

"I see."

Silence takes place again.

"Melissa, I'm sorry if you heard all of that from me. I know –"

"I don't want to talk about it." I say firmly. Just because I look exactly like his sister doesn't mean that I am her twin. It's just a mere coincidence for all I know. "Don't say anything about it." I add. I see him nod in the periphery of my vision.

My phone rings, breaking the awkward silence. I quickly stand up and ran to my phone to pick it up.

"Thank goodness." A sigh full of relief welcomes me as I put the speaker on my ear. "Where are you, Melissa?! What happened?!" Zac's worried voice makes me smile.

"Zac." I utter. Relieved.

"Where are you babe?"

"I'm in -" I hold my head as think of what to say. Of course I can't tell him that I'm with Alexander. He would get angry as fuck. "- in my friend's house."

"Who?" He sounds suspicious.

"My friend Liza. She's a member of the pep squad. I'll introduce you to her next time." I bite my bottom lip. I'm the worst liar. I don't even have a friend named Liza!

Alexander smiles bitterly. He shook his head and continues eating his breakfast.

"Okay. I just called to check on you."

"That's so sweet. Thank you."

"You sure you're okay?"

"Yep. You have nothing to worry about, babe."

"Okay." He sighs. I could feel that he does not really believe what I'm saying. "I'll call you later, okay?"

"Okay."

"I love you."

My eyes immediately lands on Alexander who is looking me intently. I look away and turn around. "I love you too. Bye."

I press end. I take a deep breath and bury my face in the palm of my hands. I feel guilty. I feel like I'm doing something really wrong right now.

"I think there isn't a girl named Liza in the pep squad." Alexander says teasingly.

"Shut up!"

"What a strict boyfriend you have there."

I raise my head and glare at him that made him chuckle. "I need to go home." I state in a firm voice.

"Finish your food first."

"I'm done. I need to go home."

He sighs bitterly and stands up. "Okay. I'll drive you home. I can't believe that a single call from your prince would make you want to go home immediately." He looks at me.

I stay silent. I want to go home not because of Zac but because I don't want to be with Alexander anymore. I don't want to spend much more time with him because I feel crazy just by being with him and it's making me nervous.

We are both silent for the whole time we were inside the car. But before I get off, he seriously tells me "Melissa, just call me anytime and I'll be there."