Chapter Twenty-six

Start from the beginning

"Sure. You could sit there." He points at the bench just beside us. "Come here let me help you." He carefully puts his hand on my shoulders assisting me sit on the bench.

"I'm fine Coach. Thank you." I say shyly.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah." I say as I slowly sit on the bench.

He smiles and steps away. "Water break, boys." He shouts after blowing his whistle.

"Look what we got here." Anthony says panting as he jogs towards me. "How's your foot?"

"Recovering."

He smiles. "Great. I'm glad to hear that."

He taps my shoulder before he run off to get some water. The rest of the guys also gather around me asking how I am and just some casual questions.

Coach Mark blows the whistle. "Water break is over. Let's start again."

The players immediately go inside the court and start their drills again. The boys seem to be energetic than usual. Winning the diamond cup sure made them like this.

My eyes catch Alexander running inside the court. My heart skips. I honestly forgot about him being here. I somehow want to punch myself for that.

I am trying to avoid looking at him but it's just impossible. After I laid my eyes on him, I can't look at anywhere else but him. My eyes are following him everywhere he goes.

He is very wet from his own sweat but he is still exerting all out for today's practice. His sweat is dripping. His hair is wet and his shirt is soaking but still, he looks so damn good. Is this some kind of magic?

He really loves basketball. He's crazy about it.

He carries the ball very well and he does everything to get it for himself. How can I be the ball instead?

He looks at my direction and I immediately averted my eyes and look somewhere else. I bite the insides of my cheeks and sit properly, acting like nothing is wrong.

Their practice ends around quarter to seven. I watch as each one of them gets out of the basketball court to get home. I've been sitting here alone for a while now but Alexander hasn't come out from the shower room yet. It feels like he is doing it on purpose though.

I did not know how but I am unconsciously waiting for him. Yes I am waiting for Zac to pick me up anytime now but somehow I could not make my mind to think it that way. I am here sitting alone in the cold bench inside the basketball gym.

A shadow shades my foot.

I raise my head and see the guy I am unconsciously waiting for.

"Alexander." I gasp.

He looks around. "Why are you still here?"

"I-I was waiting for... you." I say with my shaking voice. His eyebrows cross and he shrugs. He then walks away but before he could do that, I reach for his hand and grip it. "Wait. Can we talk?" I beg. "Please."

He sighs and turns to face me. "What is there left to talk about?"

"There are a lot, Alexander. A lot." I whisper the last words. I look deeply into his eyes and I've seen nothing. He is just looking back at me blankly like as if I am a stranger. "I want to hear your reasons. I'm going crazy thinking why this is happening to us." He twists his hand trying to break free but I hold him tighter with my two hands. "What's wrong with us?" My voice cracks. My vision blurs as tears come pouring from my eyes.

"First thing's first Melissa, don't go crazy on thinking what's wrong with us because there was never an us."

"What the fuck. You kissed me!"

"For the record, you kissed me." He chuckles.

I laugh painfully. "But you kissed back."

He looks at me for a while. "Yes and I regret it. Just because we kissed, it means that there is something between us." He says between clench teeth. "I should have not done that. It was a mistake."

"Why?" I said in a small voice. I don't know if he hears me. I sniff and blink to clear away my tears but it just keep on pouring down. "Why is it a mistake? I can't understand you at all."

"You don't need to understand me."

"I need to! What the fuck Alexander, why can't you give me a fucking reason?!"

He doesn't say anything but instead twisted his hand and frees himself from my grip. He turns his back and starts to walk away from me.

"Alexander!" I shout. I want to stand and run to him. If not for my injury I might have done it by now. "What do you want me to do?"

"Forget me. Hate me. I don't mind if you do it that way." He answers without looking back at me.  "Good bye."