Chapter Sixteen

Mulai dari awal

Problem with that was, I had been noticed and from one of the rooms I hadn't yet looked in it was obvious where the smashing glass sound had come from. Two vampires spotted me the second I ran into the hall and rather than go back to the others, I took a defensive pose.

"There!" One of them pointed and their faces changed to that of the demons that were hidden inside the human skin. The shorter one nodded at his companion before sniffing the air and making some kind grunting sound. Both growled, opening their mouths to bare their fangs. The light in the street behind the room they came in from offered some help to see in the otherwise darkened corridor, even with my enhanced eyesight I wasn't like them and couldn't see in the pitch black.

"You the Bunting girl?" The grunter spoke up as they slowly stalked towards me.

"No, she's out there," I nodded behind me and they looked at each other doubtfully.

With them distracted I ran the few steps closer to them and slammed one of the stakes into the short guys chest. His short scream turned to a gasp of air as he disappeared into ash and not hesitating, slammed my fist into the other ones face. He stumbled backwards, before leaping towards me in an attack and just like I had done with Zane, I rolled with him controlling the fall. As the wood cracked into his ribs and made its way into chest he disappeared too.

Stupid vampires.

Able to run, I kept going towards the fire escape and the second I heard the shrill scream that could only be human - not monster sounded out, I froze. Jodie. The angel and devil fought in my mind, this was it, my chance to go - but I couldn't just leave them there. She screamed again, glass smashed and Chris was calling her name.

"Fuck!" I groaned, turning to run back to the others. I thought I had a choice, but I didn't. Just like when Zane said I do care when I try to act like I don't and thats how I ended up saving not only Jodie's life, but his too.

"Guess your Mums slayer genes come in handy?"

"Guess you care about your semi-sister too?" I snapped, taking the sharpened machete blade to the vampires neck his head never actually fell to the ground when he burst into ash like his comrades. "You're welcome, you know for saving your life!"

"You didn't save my life," He growled, finishing off his own vampire.

They kept coming. Chris stood by Jodie who despite her own brush with death and bloody neck still managed to keep on going. It's a good thing we were kind of isolated because the noise would be hard to explain, just like telling a human they just saw a vampire turn to dust.

Slowly I realised we were winning. The trio had it covered with the last few starting to retreat rather than keep fighting and not willing to miss my chance, I headed back towards the fire escape. Keeping against the wall, I put those years of sneaking out of the Academy to good use. That was until the door was flung open and the vampire who walked in wasn't like the others.

"Hello Elise, it's a pleasure to finally meet you!" He purred, melting into the darkness with more skill than I'd ever possess.

"Wish I could say the same." I muttered dryly, closing my eyes I focused more on listening than seeing. There it was, the slight creak of the flooring, the ruffle of his jacket and the crack of his elbow as his arm was extended in my direction. Fighting blind, the corridor suddenly seemed to small and just when I thought I was gaining ground, I was thrown further into the darkness. The side table cracked from the force of my landing against it and I couldn't stop the groan as pain tore up my back.