1st February 2011

Dear Diary,

My Mother thinks I have 'become of age' that now requires me to keep a log of my life. A diary. A journal. Whatever the hell you want to call it. Maybe that means my life will be ending soon?

Maybe I should forget about my plans for college and disappear before that gets a chance to become a reality, only I wonder if there's any point to even trying. Has my destiny as a Hunter made it something impossible to escape?

Mum, if you read this, I'm kidding. I need you to get me through college, and then I'm gone. (if you read this after I left, see – I told you so!) Also blocking my credit cards and accounts is pointless as I've probably cleared them all out by now. Also, maybe my mother should get me better birthday presents. There are plenty of things I told you I wanted, things that are much, much better than a stupid leather bound 'death' journal. Like an iPad. Who doesn't like iPad's? If you had, I might have considered keeping in touch once I leave. Now, well, you'll have to see if you made it onto my Christmas card list.

You see Diary, my Mum thinks that anything I write now could someday be taken to the archives like the other Bunting diaries. A record of a time in history that future generations will study - that they can learn from. I think she forgets who I am. Just because I am a Bunting, doesn't mean I am one. Does that make sense?

Let me break it down, cause you know, it's not like I have anything better to do. My family, well, let's say we're part of a mafia-style mob only we have a bunch of ancient monsters as our like, Godfather. I'm sure everyone thinks their boss is something from the black lagoon or darkest corners of hell, and they're wrong; those people are just assholes.

I'm talking about actual monsters.

We Buntings are like the Van Helsing's, or the Grimms and everyone has heard of them. We're all Hunters. The main difference between our families is they must have been the first people to ever have a public relations manager. Our family achieved a hell of a lot more than them, but you don't see movies and stories based on my ancestors' journals and stories. Then again, we're not really bothered by it either. With that kind of fame comes more attention and in this world, it's better to be off the radar to keep that element of surprise.

I'm getting off track.

Oh right, there are Trackers too. They deal with shifting species, and you know, werewolves. Slayers well, they're just as big fame whores as the Van Helsing's and you guessed it, Slayers deal with vampires and those kinds of lesser demons. To sum it up, if it goes bump in the night, Hunters, aka me and my little dysfunctional tribe, are the ones to put your life back together and get rid of the big and nasty. Technically, vampires and werewolves blah blah, are out of our jurisdiction, but that doesn't mean we don't deal with them every now and then too.

I do not want to do what they all do.

I'm not going to be a Hunter or anything that my family can add to their claim of fame within our people, so this whole thing is pointless.

Do you even want to be called Diary? It's a little, overused. How about I call you Bob.

Dear Bob,

My life sucks.

This really, really fucking stupid.

If you're not my mother and you've come across my diary, well, good luck to you if want to read this. Fuck you and your stupid journals.

Elise Bunting.
(diary writer extraordinaire)